Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Which one -KorgB1 or 1.7
Which one -KorgB1 or 1.7
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th May 2020, 06:34 AM   #1
tribute is offline tribute  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Which one -KorgB1 or 1.7

Hi, I currently have a B1 passive, but have recently got hold of a very nice 103M cartridge. Unfortunately as the 103M is very, very low output at 0.12mV. So I need to move to another phono amp or a new Preamp. Getting a phono amp that can drive that low output is a big ask.
So another option would be to go to one of the above, however I am not sure if the B1 Korg will have enough gain. I have been offered a 1.7 at a very good price, but it is still really more than I can afford at the present.
So my $1,000 question is is it worth while going for the 1.7 which will have more gain over the B1 Korg. i know this is very subjective, just looking for notable opinions.

Regard
Old 19th May 2020, 07:21 AM   #2
ClaudeG is offline ClaudeG
diyAudio Member

B1 Korg will give you 16dB gain and is IMHO useable up to 2V.

So you need to know how many volts you need to drive your power amp (if more than 2V, forget it IMHO) and also if your cartridge output amplified through your current RIAA amp (gain?) and the B1K's 16dB gain (that's roughly x6.3) is enough to get you to your desired sound level (via your power amps.

I hope this helps

Claude
Old 19th May 2020, 07:26 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Another way to look at it...

You had I presume another MC before, something that worked well in your system and you were happy with the sound level. What was its output? If it was less than 6.3 times the 0.12mV of your 103M -eg 0,76mV- than you are safe with the B1K

If it is more than that, then you need to factor in how much headroom you had (how many dB were left in the system when you played at your usual full volume) to find out if it could still work.

Claude
Old 20th May 2020, 05:16 AM   #4
tribute is offline tribute  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi Claude, Thanks for the reply, I actually had a Denon H/O MC cart before playing through the MM section of my phono amp. According to the specs my MC gain is 56dB.
As well as the gain aspect I am also interested about the sound difference between the two.
Thanks again.
Old 20th May 2020, 06:28 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

OK... can't say how they compare from a sound POV, all I can say is that my B1K is really a fine preamp, addictive. As std version it is very good, once slightly tweaked probably world class for those (me included) who love a bit of negative H2.

Have fun either way

Claude

Which one -KorgB1 or 1.7Hide this!Advertise here!