Headphones extender cable?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I find my self not using my headphones very often. I have built both Whammy and Starving Student II. I think the reason is that I can't sit in my normal listening position. The headphone cable is rather short so have to stand or sit on floor close to amp. Do you all use 4-5m extender cables to be able to sit in same position as when listening to the speakers?

If headphone is like say 32 ohm then a few mOhm of the cable impedance should not influence on sound quality?

I could probably use rather cheap cable to make a DIY extender cable?

Joined 2019
Paid Member
This is coming from a guy that's never heard a difference repeatably between ANY reasonable headphone cable. Yes... even the super-silver fancy Litz stuff.. I don't hear more "sparkle" with silver or a more "muted" sound with anything but the finest cryo-treated OCC. I'm not mocking any of those choices, to each their own, but it should provide context for my POV.

So...

Build an extension cable and rock on! Isn't it better to have music where you want it - than no music?

I will say this with confidence... It's likely to be better than any wireless solution. :D

Build an extension cable and rock on! Isn't it better to have music where you want it - than no music?

I will say this with confidence... It's likely to be better than any wireless solution. :D

I can't see how the supplied cable is built as connectors are sealed. So is normal 3-wire cable good enough or is screened cable best? …..maybe double screened so L and R channel has its own screen to minimize cross talk? …..the chance for cross talk is not that high as impedance is quite low?

The headphones I use has a mini-jack for L and R cup so I could built dual mono cables or a cable that internal is like dual-mono.

Can you see how your headphone cables are built internally?
I don't what to over-complicate things…..but my mind has a tendency to do that :)

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Yes, cheap will do.

Mogami w3178 and likes if you can buy it comfortably.

Edit: Now I see your No. 4 post – then it is better to make cable all the way to the cups for sure.
Staying with mogami – try w2944 (or w2799) for each channel.

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
decent 3-wire cable is going to work properly, use decent male-female cable jacks and that's it

shielded Mogami is certainly better, but not necessary sound-wise, "just" from engineering point (reasons why screen is existing, anyway)

if your cans are having normal stereo 6.3mm jack, they aren't balanced (demanding 2 conductors per channel) so no reason for using separate cables/routes for each channel

I have AKG K270 Studio; can't hear difference with or without 3m long extending cable, funny spiral thingie, maybe even original AKG

Last edited:
Yes, I was chocked when I realized the price of a Valhalla power cord and also that they sell a "machine" that "pre-play" cables…...and without any scientific explanation of what the "machine" does to the cable.

I am sure I will be happy with the Grado cable! :)

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I'm a little late to the party, but thought this might be useful for the future or for someone else. I made a headphone extension cable a long time ago. 12 feet (~3.5 meters), sort of heavy-duty so I can step on in or roll a chair wheel over it accidentally. It does have a braided shield, but I don't use it - it's just for physical robustness. Three conductors: Red, white, black. Metal connectors (Switchcraft). I made it for my AKG K240 headphones, which have a straight (not coiled) cord, so I've got about 20 feet for moving around. 1/4" connectors, not the little 3mm ones. TRS - Tip, ring, sleeve. Tip is left channel, ring is right, sleeve is common.

And, no, you won't get better sound by spending more money. Although, you might get a more robust cable, and there's something to be said for that.

I got my Grado extender cable and it works very well. Then I also tested my camera at ISO 6400. In the background is Starving Student II and the two M2X mono blocks which was switched off for this test. For the AudioQuest headphones the CCS configuration of SS II is the best match as these AQ headphones are already a bit on the "warm side".

Whammy is also a very nice amp for these headphones. I will try this amp again later as I now can sit relaxed and listen to music!

It is good for the late hours…….but still I prefer the large speakers with M2X powered on....

Attachments

• DSC_0157_00001.jpg
    DSC_0157_00001.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 60
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.