Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

ALEPH 5 Oscilating 600KHz
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st March 2020, 09:50 PM   #1
Alex79 is offline Alex79
diyAudio Member

Default ALEPH 5 Oscilating 600KHz

Hello, I have build my first Aleph 5. Schematic bellow. I have matched IRF9610. Rail voltage +-34V

I have start with just one pair of IRF244 before adding others. When I connect dummy load 8Ohm, everything seems OK. 13v peak to peak before clipping- that is power output I would expect.

When clipping started around 14.5V, it clipping only postive side of sinewave, negative is ok even in much higher output. Somehow assymetric clipping... If I have added more output mosfets, clipping was symetric. With just one pair, always such assymetric - however same behaviour on both channels. Is it something I should deal with?

If I connect 6Ohm speaker instead of dummy load, there is quite big oscillation - 600Khz. Suprisingly, if I lower rail voltage to +-10V, everything going nice. No Oscilation and THD even lower then with +-34V, maximum output voltage cca 14V pk-pk. However, when rail voltage go over +-15, imediatelly there is big 600Khz oscilation.

As it is my first Mosfet amplifier, Im little bit lost how to prevent the oscilation. Im thinking to try increase gate serial resistor from 221 to 1K. Thinking to add some capacitors between Gate and source...however not really sure where to focus first.

Really appreciate any help from more experienced guys here, what should I try. Thank you in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: gif aleph-5.gif (13.6 KB, 337 views)
Old 21st March 2020, 10:03 PM   #2
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Please post some well-lit, in-focus photos of your amp so we can start looking at what you have.
Old 21st March 2020, 10:08 PM   #3
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

two 1nF caps will probably cure whatever you have there

see enclosed
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Aleph30 by Algar_emi.pdf (29.9 KB, 98 views)
Old 21st March 2020, 10:35 PM   #4
Alex79 is offline Alex79
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Mod View Post
two 1nF caps will probably cure whatever you have there

see enclosed

Thank you for quick answer. As I see in the schematic, there are two 1nF caps.
C105 - In my circuit is 680pF. Quite close to 1nF, so Im not expecting there should be any change if I replace it.
C102 - I have added 1nF there. Unfortunatelly, it did not stop the oscilation.
Old 21st March 2020, 11:13 PM   #5
Alex79 is offline Alex79
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
Please post some well-lit, in-focus photos of your amp so we can start looking at what you have.
PCB is from HIFISTOR Aleph 5 60W A class Amplifier D.I.Y. - HiFiStor

Some components I used from kit, some resistors I replaced with more precise and matched IRF9610. I tried to swap IRFP244 multiple times. Somehow, the amplifier is more stable with 2- pairs of transistors and has even clipping than with one pair. However, due to smaller heatsink and enough power to drive my speaker just with 10W, I would like to make it run on one pair only.

What is not visible, I added 1nF from bottom C102.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200322_000253.jpg (427.2 KB, 310 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200322_000244.jpg (372.0 KB, 304 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200322_000248.jpg (426.8 KB, 298 views)
Old 21st March 2020, 11:23 PM   #6
Alex79 is offline Alex79
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex79 View Post
Thank you for quick answer. As I see in the schematic, there are two 1nF caps.
C105 - In my circuit is 680pF. Quite close to 1nF, so Im not expecting there should be any change if I replace it.
C102 - I have added 1nF there. Unfortunatelly, it did not stop the oscilation.
Also to mention, right now Im just using as rail power Lab power supply Fluke +-60V / 5A. Im not expecting any issue from here.

If the amplifier has no input, it stays ok. when I connect any source to input, even just wires without any signal (generator turned off) it start oscillating.
Old 21st March 2020, 11:57 PM   #7
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

if you have your lab supply current limited anywhere near amp Iq , that setup is critical per se

build it with regular PSU and try it again
Old 22nd March 2020, 02:38 AM   #8
Extreme_Boky is offline Extreme_Boky
diyAudio Member

Hi Alex 97,

The quiescent current would depend on the number of devices used in the output; the correct number of output devices would set the correct quiescent current, and hence -> you'd achieve the symmetrical clipping. Therefore, use 3 output devices, i.e. 3 x 1 ohm wire-wound resistors in parallel. This 0.33ohm value, together with that 1k resistor picking up the voltage drop across 1-ohm resistor & biasing the base of MPSA18, will set the correct operating point of the output stage.

Last edited by Extreme_Boky; 22nd March 2020 at 02:41 AM.
Old 22nd March 2020, 09:31 AM   #9
Alex79 is offline Alex79
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_Boky View Post
Hi Alex 97,

The quiescent current would depend on the number of devices used in the output; the correct number of output devices would set the correct quiescent current, and hence -> you'd achieve the symmetrical clipping. Therefore, use 3 output devices, i.e. 3 x 1 ohm wire-wound resistors in parallel. This 0.33ohm value, together with that 1k resistor picking up the voltage drop across 1-ohm resistor & biasing the base of MPSA18, will set the correct operating point of the output stage.

Thank you for answer. As Im still learning the pass aleph topolopogy, I was not sure how to properly bias it. So thx for pointing it out.

With 1ohm resistor, the amp is taking 0.5 Amp per transistor pair. With 3 pairs, 1.5 Amp. If I keep only one pair of transistor and lower value of the resistor to , 0.33 ohm the amp should draw more current, cca 2 Amps. That would drive transistors too hot. So I think, I should keep 1 ohm, but play more with the value of 1K resistor. Is it right idea? I will try some potenciometr there and see if I can find balance.
Old 22nd March 2020, 10:58 AM   #10
Extreme_Boky is offline Extreme_Boky
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex79 View Post
Thank you for answer. As Im still learning the pass aleph topolopogy, I was not sure how to properly bias it. So thx for pointing it out.

With 1ohm resistor, the amp is taking 0.5 Amp per transistor pair. With 3 pairs, 1.5 Amp. If I keep only one pair of transistor and lower value of the resistor to , 0.33 ohm the amp should draw more current, cca 2 Amps. That would drive transistors too hot. So I think, I should keep 1 ohm, but play more with the value of 1K resistor. Is it right idea? I will try some potenciometr there and see if I can find balance.
Yes, exactly right. However, you will also change the AC gain by playing with a 1-ohm resistor. Nelson has explained how to empirically set the AC gain, so you can set the quiescent current properly, for symmetrical clipping, AND set the AC gain at 50% which seems like a desired amount of gain.

ALEPH 5 Oscilating 600KHzHide this!Advertise here!