Help, Pass Lab Pearl 1, gain is gone both channels

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
30db, not easy to change.

Sounds really, really good. How does it compare to the commercial products? Thats really subjective and has a lot to do with your taste, but if you look at the input stage of Pearl vs. the earlier phonostages, particularly the Ono, it's going to look very familiar. :yes:

I kick myself for selling mine.

Read the Pearl 1 description (Hikari posted before), page 6, under 'subjective performance'. Wayne Colburn describes his impressions with the Pearl 1 - phonostage compared to the Pass XONO.

I use my Pearl 1 most often with my Thorens vinyl player and a Ortofon cartridge (MC20 MKII). Between the cartridge (Moving Coil) and the Pearl1 I use a transformer or a super simple 'Le pacific' MC-pre.

If I listen to vinyl I prefer the BA-3 preamp (a lot of gain) and then into the poweramp. This is a very good sounding combination. And it can play loud.
With the B1 as a preamp i do not have enough gain.

I also added switchable resistors and capacitances to the input (via dip-switch on a proto-board). Makes adjusting the cartridge to the Pearl 1 much easier.

If your Pearl 1 is back to life - Enjoy it!

I also built a XOno and a Pearl II. My personal ranking of this 3 phono stages is: Pass XOno - Pearl I - Pearl II. But they are very close to each other in soundquality. Before I would exchange one of these Phono stages, I would invest into a better cartridge. My opinion. :D

Greets
Dirk

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Desoldering the tiny legs of the transistors was tricky — to small for the nozzle of my solder sucker and solder wick just didn’t seem to pick up the last bits filling the holes. But I got it done. 2k369 in place of the 2sk389GR and new zeners. It measures close to specs, a little lower at Q4 (13.5 mV). The top of R23 still measures 12.5 instead of 15 (both channels) but I can’t see why and am not sure this is concerning considering every other node is within 5%.

Here’s a picture.

Today I’ll get it hooked up to the turntable, see how it performs and make sure it’s stable.

Attachments

• A062418B-BE40-4178-9A92-0CBFAC4F5879.jpeg
    A062418B-BE40-4178-9A92-0CBFAC4F5879.jpeg
    127.7 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
....... The top of R23 still measures 12.5 instead of 15 (both channels) but I can’t see why ......

try it as is

if you're interested to pursue that difference - you're having slightly greater current through input JFets; increase all 4 source resistors by notch (thus decreasing Iq) and you'll be there

13V5 instead of 14V at base of Q4 - irrelevant difference

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.