On A Hippie Trail, Head Full Of Zombie

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I started out with 16AWG PVC wire, and still use it when I want something stiff. But I've mostly switched to Silicone insulated wire, which is much more flexible (although it annoys me that the colours are very washed out).

I use 32AWG for signal in places that are physically well protected, but 22AWG in most places (the 32AWG just seems to fragile).

The front-panel wires here are 32AWG, but the signal wires going to the volume control are 22AWG:

attachment.php

These are all 22 and 16:

attachment.php

For Jam Jar monoblocks I have some 12AWG for power & output.

Cheers,
Jeff.

Attachments

• finished4.JPG
    finished4.JPG
    243 KB · Views: 975
  • finished4 copy.JPG
    finished4 copy.JPG
    341.6 KB · Views: 954
Joined 2019
Paid Member
Signal: 22 to 24 awg
Speaker: 12 to 14 awg
Power: 12 to 14 awg

I don’t care about the insulation material, but I always use silver or silver plated copper, that usually means it’s probably going to be ptfe, or etfe.

Thanks for the info! I’ve been using silver plated copper thus far, but am in the middle of some power rewiring and trying some tin plated copper (just what I had available.) Hoping I don’t hear the difference :xfingers:

I don't think you will hear a difference.
I just prefer silver cause it will help me sleep better at night knowing I won't need to be replacing the cables for a bloody long time, if ever.
I have some speaker cables that are green. It's easy replacing external speaker cable, not so easy replacing wire in the amp chassis. I prefer low maintenance.
If I didn't use silver plated, I would use tin plated.

Results of Vgs Threshold (Id = 2.5mA) testing.

ECW20P20
0.53V x 2 out of 20 devices
0.55V x 18 out of 20 devices

ECW20N20
0.14V x 20 out 20 devices

You won’t get this level of matching out of any mosfets I am familiar with.
The whole curves match just as well from my memory of my previous testing results.

I will do complete curves of Id vs Vgs later (maybe tomorrow)

A friend sent me a link to one that's a FRED:

VBE60-06A IXYS | Mouser Ireland

but dang, those suckers are expensive.

That looks like a nice chunky Ametherm behind it. You using the AS32-20010?

Yeah. I am aware of that one, but I chose vbo52 cause I prefer the package and terminal style of it. I also like the low forward voltage drop. I can always add an RC snubber if necessary, maybe 10 Ohms, 100 nF.

Yeah the thermistors are Ametherm. I can give you the part number if you’re interested, they’re a little different than AS32

Last edited:
Yeah the thermistors are Ametherm. I can give you the part number if you’re interested, they’re a little different than AS32

Yeah, when you get a chance. I had a hard time figuring out exactly which one would be appropriate for JamJar.

I'm currently of the opinion that the AS32-20010 will be sufficient (over the AS35-20010), but I'm on a bit of a wing and a prayer.

(I'm feeding a 1.5KVA transformer which then goes to 47mF, 0R4, and 47mF on each secondary. Single thermistor in series with the primary.)

MS22 20005 Ametherm | Circuit Protection | DigiKey

I am going with this one. The energy rating is better than CL60 with higher cold resistance at 20 Ohms, but similar hot working resistance to CL60.
I don’t understand their capacitance ratings since I have used over 400,000uF (200,000uF per rail) with CL60 with a 400VA transformer without issues and these are better than CL60.

I am using 500VA transformers per mono block.

I will be testing soon.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.