Tokin SIT DEFiSIT musings

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The name SIT has been the source of great confusion. Only certain depletion mode devices with a high cutoff voltage will display the distinctive character. These V(groove)FETs have a vertical structure and an insulated gate while JFETs have a gate-channel P-N junction diode.

The SITs that I have conduct current from Gate to Source if you apply
more than 0.6 volts, so I have to assume we are dealing with P-N
junctions.

The 2SK182 is a limitedly exciting enhancement mode transistor meant to be used as a switch.

One man's enhancement switch is another man's depletion triode-ish JFET.

Attachments

• 2SK182.jpg
    2SK182.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 302
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Frankly, I don`t think that the 2SK182 is any better than the IRF MOSFETs, but the 2SK60 / 2SJ18 is a truly remarkable technical and technological achievement. The 2SK182 and the 2SK60 / 2SJ18 have nothing whatsoever in common.

The most striking difference being that one is extinct while the other is freely available on the open market (at DIY volumes) although, admittedly declining.

This is DIY, not commercial so as long as we can get our hands on them, the journey is part of the fun right?

I guess the other aspect to consider is - how do they actually end up sounding?

I haven't heard both so will withhold comment but other forum members have heard both and I know of at least 1 (fellow Canadian) who prefers his Tokin implementation over his Sony one.

If I could get hold of 2SK60/2SJ18 I would not hesitate.

Last edited:
Frankly, I don`t think that the 2SK182 is any better than the IRF MOSFETs, but the 2SK60 / 2SJ18 is a truly remarkable technical and technological achievement. The 2SK182 and the 2SK60 / 2SJ18 have nothing whatsoever in common.

What is measurably different between the 2SK60 and the 2SK182 that would make a difference in an amplifier circuit? I have some of each transistor and I have access to a modern calibrated curve tracer. I will be happy to explore your assertion and post results here.

woofertester,
transistors conceived to work as a switch feature huge interelectrode capacitances, low conduction channel resistance, low switch-off voltage, high input impedance, high doping levels, a thin dielectric layer contaminated with toxic heavy metals and inexorably exhibit high signal distortion.

The 2SK60 is one of only a few power transistors that was explicitly developed with the intention of designing an audio amplifier by employing uniquely peculiar, advanced techniques. What do you think your measurements could reveal?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.