Tokin SIT DEFiSIT musings

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

This lash-up is un-degenerated and self-biasing. + / - 33V, ~1.5A 50 deg C.
The tempco of this DEFiSIT pair is only very sightly positive. It does not run away like a naked MOSFET runs away. I believe that this makes the temp stability problem only a matter of how big and/or efficient the heatsink is.

I think I have a feel for how this works. I have ordered some parts to see if I can get the self-biasing rail voltages lower for the same or even higher current.

Just waiting for parts in transit now.

Last edited:
SIT accelerator

In the BAF 2016 talk by Nelson, he shows a schematic labeled "DEPLETION / ENHANCEMENT FOLLOWER 2"

That schematic sets the bias of the SIT more negative than the bias of the enhancement MOSFET.

I call this putting the brakes on the SIT.

What my pair of devices requires is applying the accelerator to the SIT.

A re-drawn schematic of my pair of devices is attached. The Vgs values are for power supplies of + / - 24V at Ids = 1.65A at 48 deg C with zero offset between output and power supplies common.

Attachments

• DEF_accelerator.jpg
    DEF_accelerator.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 563
Last edited:
Yes, it's true, I wanted to say that yours too string resistances with Vgs PMos > Vgs NJ, in absolute value, adjusts the output offset.
This is may last DEF experiment. There is the most negative FET enhancements mode. Before reaching a stable offset, Vos went up and then back down. DEF Ultimo schema-jpg 2.jpg

I find that the output stage when cold has 150 mV of offset. The output stage is set for 0v offset at 50 deg C.

The offset is definitely dependent on temperature

My guess is that a resistor array with one or more thermistors can reduce the drift of offset over temperature.

A very gentle DC servo may be worth investigating.

My initial desire is to use this as a DC coupled follower much like an F4.

For the pair of devices that I am using, 67 mV is the difference between the two gate voltages.

I care about DC offset when in temp equilibrium

while arriving there , I don't care even for 1V5 , it'll not harm even hysterical Lowthers and such , under sole condition that nothing is abrupt

Good to know. I will not worry about it then.

If laying out a PCB, it should be simple to have a network and and a couple of jumpers that will handle the cases of SIT Vgs being either low or higher than P-FET Vgs.

I am satisfied that if the SITs are well matched and the P-FETs are well matched, it should be possible to put together sets of quad devices to make a stereo amp. Both channels should bias up nearly identically.

Hi Woofy,
I cloned the SIT-3 with BUZ905D and THF-51S.
Without any source’s resistor, Ids and Vgs were traced and graphed.

Thanks and have a nice Noël to you and “others SIT die hard”
Regards
Pascal

Attachments

• 7E93D916-9AD2-4BB6-913E-B0A62A5846D5.jpeg
    7E93D916-9AD2-4BB6-913E-B0A62A5846D5.jpeg
    258.2 KB · Views: 636
For a typical DIY scenario, funds are limited, the amount of parts available are limited and your test equipment available are limited.

Nelson's #2 schematic of the DEF amp is the best way to bias a DIY DEF pair.

One problem that you have to account for is that the temp coefficient of the Tokin SIT is positive whereas the SIT used by Nelson in DEFiSIT has a negative temp coefficient. You have run the Tokin DEF pair to 50 deg C and make your final bias adjustments at 50 deg C.

More to follow as I get a final setup for a DEF pair that look good enough to deploy in an amp.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Just as with other transistors or tubes - variety in the specific character.

SITs are junction field effect transistors (Jfet) except that they have a broad
"linear region" in their characteristic, much like Triodes. Everything else is
more like a Pentode, where the curves flatten out as voltage increases.

The name SIT has been the source of great confusion. Only certain depletion mode devices with a high cutoff voltage will display the distinctive character. These V(groove)FETs have a vertical structure and an insulated gate while JFETs have a gate-channel P-N junction diode.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.