Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Intermittent slight Hiss FET-9 Preamp
Intermittent slight Hiss FET-9 Preamp Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd December 2019, 05:26 PM   #11
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

Old 2nd December 2019, 06:38 PM   #12
coolnose is offline coolnose  Europe
diyAudio Member

Just buy some Kester 44 with either reference, find a small spool if it's a 1 time job.

Don't upset ZM with esoteric solder, even the 2% silver stuff moves him in some way

Sn62Pb36Ag02 44 0.020 0.50 66 3.3% Leaded Contains Halogen Sn62Pb36Ag02 3.3%/44 .020 1 LB SPL 2471500010 Rosin
Sn62Pb36Ag02 44 0.025 0.60 66 3.3% Leaded Contains Halogen Sn62Pb36Ag02 3.3%/44 .025 1 LB SPL 2471500018 Rosin
Sn62Pb36Ag02 44 0.031 0.80 66 3.3% Leaded Contains Halogen Sn62Pb36Ag02 3.3%/44 .031 1 LB SPL 2471500027 Rosin

I would go go with either 0.025 or 0.031 .... the last numbers starting with "2471" are the manufacturer part numbers, try your preferred seller.

Last edited by coolnose; 2nd December 2019 at 06:39 PM. Reason: EDIT: If I had to chose 1 size only, make that 0.025
Old 2nd December 2019, 06:51 PM   #13
Geeqner is offline Geeqner  United States
diyAudio Member

I was trying to figure-out what was up with the "Devil" face

So, esoteric solders are the Mighty Zen-Mod's "Kryptonite"?
Old 2nd December 2019, 06:57 PM   #14
coolnose is offline coolnose  Europe
diyAudio Member

Ask him.... I couldn't tell...

EDIT: All "esoteric" is Kryptonite to ZM... besides 1uF MKT maybe

Last edited by coolnose; 2nd December 2019 at 07:01 PM. Reason: EDIT
Old 2nd December 2019, 07:01 PM   #15
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

nope

it was for Cardas being just slightly snake-oilers

Old 3rd December 2019, 01:57 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Got a chance to do a little more listening, but not enough time to touch-up any solder joints (maybe tonight - got some old-school Kester 44 core solder from one of the techs at work who had a roll stashed, and I snagged a few feet of the stuff).

The "hiss" is intermittent (it comes and goes) - when it occurs it sounds similar to a ceramic plate rattling gently on a glass shelf.

The "hiss" occurs in the Left Channel.
It also occurs via BOTH the "CD Player" and "Video" Inputs - so I suspect that it IS NOT a bad / iffy selector switch or a position on a selector switch.
This seems to point to something in the Rear portion of one of the PCBAs and/or "V+" Section of the Power Supply.
I checked the "V+ REG" & "V- REG" for DC Voltage (set to 17 VDC +/- 0.01 by my Fluke 77). Also checked for AC Volts and got NADA.
(But those readings were with NO source signal going through it.)

Last edited by Geeqner; 3rd December 2019 at 02:03 PM.
Old 3rd December 2019, 06:28 PM   #17
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

time for soldering and wigglewiggle
Old 5th December 2019, 04:48 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Removed Cover and Poked-around with Bamboo Poker & Flashlight with CD running. Did not find anything, but one Banana Plug setscrew was loose on Left Speaker wire, so maybe that had been there for a while and didn’t notice. If the hiss is still there, it’s BARELY noticeable.

Connected Turntable (Teledyne/AR “The Turntable”, Straight Gelco Tonearm, & Shure V15-VMR. Played a side of “Mask” by Kansas & “Eye in the Sky” by Alan Parsons Project. Wifey thought that I had hauled out some Old CDs... Sounded TERRIFIC. I was hearing stuff/ instruments / sounds that I do not recall hearing on these before (in a GOOD way).

This thing certainly has THE BEST phono section that I’ve ever had connected to MY System.
-Huge step UP from late 1970s Zenith receiver
-Way better than “classic” NAD receiver that I had been using as a Pre-Amp

Makes me want to find a classic Stasis Series or PL Power Amp as an upgrade for my relatively new Emotiva XPA-2 (which is pretty decent, but probably NOT up to the standards set by Mr. Pass).

Time to think about building an Upgraded Power Supply for the FET-9.
Old 5th December 2019, 08:31 AM   #19
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

where this world is going ......... when spending money on booze and dope isn't main thing anymore

Old 5th December 2019, 03:30 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Never got into the Dope part (although there WAS that time when I built a stick-model airplane in my college dorm room and got higher than the bejeezus when I "doped" the wings - SPLIT-TING Headache the next day...)

Some "Action-Pics":
Attached Images
File Type: jpg System-LR.jpg (316.3 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Rons-AR-TT-spinning.jpg (210.7 KB, 37 views)

Intermittent slight Hiss FET-9 PreampHide this!Advertise here!