Aleph 2 heatsink dimensions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone,

I need help on to decide how large heatsinks i need for a mono block Aleph2.

What i can get is:

A 39cm case depth (41) by 22cm (case height) fins 5 cm weight of heatsink per side 3,6kg. Total for mono block 7,2kg heatsink.
Room friendly not that huge.

B 39cm case depth (41) by 30cm (case height) fins 5cm weight of heatsink per side 5 kg. Total for mono block 10kg heatsink.
Not so room friendly because of increased height.

I just dont want to have a real overkill and make the most room friendly blocks, but whats needed is needed.

Thanks everyone.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Monoblocs can be room friendly??

You won't go wrong with more heatsinking, and a bigger chassis can hold more caps.

Someone correct me, but an 8/22 (36%) increase in heatsink height will only improve heatsinking by about 18%. I remember this as "double the height, get only 50% improvement."

You can start estimating the heatsinks you mentionned by using one of the available online calculators, I use this one from time to time:

Thermal Resistance Calculator for Plate Fin Heat Sink

Others might (no, will!) chime in having a most adequate thumb rule that applies as well.

But they will ask you what schematics you are building exactly and/or ask for the power you need to dissipate.

Or you can dig up pictures of OEM Aleph2 and an owner manual with dimensions and compare total heatsink surface/type etc. per monoblock and compare to what you have.

Monoblocs can be room friendly??

You won't go wrong with more heatsinking, and a bigger chassis can hold more caps.

Someone correct me, but an 8/22 (36%) increase in heatsink height will only improve heatsinking by about 18%. I remember this as "double the height, get only 50% improvement."

More like 9% improvment.

My Aleph2 monoblocks had 500x300mm sinks pr side with 63mm fins. a total of 22Kg of heatsinks pr monoblock.

i got a great black monday deal on 8 of the 190x300x50mm heatsinks! 0,27 C/W so im good there. I also not gonna run the alephs at max. dont need that much power.
I found a aleph 2 exel calculator thingy here on forums with which i was able to determine the bias amps and voltage rail needed and feed in heatsink data. It will just do the job, however the junction temp imo is quite high still 112 C! well they got a max of 150 but still jeee its pretty hot :)

Im gonna have some more questions later about input V needed. I want to run it directly from my Cambridge CXN streamer. I have asked Cambridge for the specs on output V and impedance because its not listed in their data sheets/manual.

Cheers!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.