Amp Camp Pre+Headphone Amp - ACP+

Clarifying labeling from original post. R Out and L Out are short when testing between the two little circles (+ and G). Testing the same locations on both sets of inputs are 1.9 ohms, or open, depending on the selector position.

When looking underneath, every connector except R Out looks the same. The R Out connection + and - appear to be connected underneath, whereas the other 5 rca connections are not.

Picture

Attachments

• IMG_7428.jpg
    IMG_7428.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 199
The thru-holes in your circle are connected like the others. One on the right is connected to ground plane; one on the left connected to a trace headed for the other end of the board.

Do you mean the ground plane on the main PCB (all the connected grounds) or the bottom blank PCB? I still don't understand why the outputs (+ and -) are shorted when the inputs are not. How does the signal get to the amp if the outputs are shorted.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Do you mean the ground plane on the main PCB (all the connected grounds) or the bottom blank PCB? I still don't understand why the outputs (+ and -) are shorted when the inputs are not. How does the signal get to the amp if the outputs are shorted.

The main PCB ground plane, though depending on how you construct it (metal stand-offs) it’s also connected to ground plane board.

I'm confused ....... (that's easy, though)

when writing, differentiate input vs. output

what is shorted?

and - pic is more useful if you take it from upper side - silkscreen shown

Yellow means continuity between all points. Resistance measurements in blue. I have the LXmini crossover as a comparison, each output has 1.9 ohms across the + & -. I expected the Pre Amp output to have some resistance across the output + & -.

Attachments

• pre amp.PNG
    pre amp.PNG
    813.5 KB · Views: 384
  • crossover.PNG
    crossover.PNG
    961.6 KB · Views: 366
Last edited:
two scenarios:

- your build is wrong
-your DMM is broken

ACP output - it must show ~33R, once when you fill that output cap with probes/DMM, when cans are pulled out

ACP input - it must be ~20K (value of volume pot)

https://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/art_acp.pdf

dunno for LX, lazy to search for schm, but 1R9 sounds wrong

OK, I was using the Fluke wrong. I had it on the continuity measurement setting instead of the ohm setting. The outputs are 32 ohms, the inputs are 20k. The LXmini outputs are 10k. Problem solved. Sorry for any confusion.

I did

Have you compare LM317 to J112 for noise ?

Patrick

I used the unbranded LM317 to evaluate. I noticed that there was a deterioration in the signal-to-noise ratio, with the introduction of more hiss, noticeable when I use more sensitive headphones, in between the songs. It might not bother some users. It bothered me. I don't know if it would also happen with the use of reputable brand regulators. I mounted another board using J176 motorolas in place of the 2sJ74. In this case, the hiss is more audible when there is no music, something I consider undesirable. The only advantage would be the great facility to obtain 10 ma of current to feed the 2sj74.

Wonderful Amp!

Having this amp for a few months now, its one of my alltime favorties!
I had it setup with the 32 ohm and changed to match the higher impedance cans like the HD 650's (300 ohm) and ADX 5000's at 420 ohms. Recently I went back to the 32 ohm resistors...and its just fine with the higher impedace cans...the ADX 5000 @ 420 ohms can play VERY loud....hearing damage loud.

Its one of the nicest magical pairing I have heard with these ADX 5000 dynamic driver cans....

Just Lovely Nelson!
:lickface:

Attachments

• 20211128_095248.jpg
    20211128_095248.jpg
    877.5 KB · Views: 280
Reactions: 1 user