Amp Camp Pre+Headphone Amp - ACP+

Is it too much to project that this could put out 2-3 watts @ 3 percent distortion figure? NP's distortion vs. power graph looks like it doesn't have much of an elbow out to 1 watt.

That would put power into the realm of 45 or 2A3 type tubes as far as efficiency requirements are concerned.

It could certainly be scaled up, but that is a lot more work than the simple scale down that I did. A pair of IRFP240 Fets in the output stage, 0.22 Ω resistance up, 0.68 Ω resistance down (with parallel resistors), feeding a 3300 uF or 4700 uF output cap. Feedback network same as Pa showed originally, or tweaked for a touch more gain. Too much to do on Veroboard, but the basic concepts apply.
You would end up with something similar to an ACA, which already has a nice PCB available from the store.

Last edited:
How is the J113 selected for the CCS of the input stage?
When I read the datasheet J113 has a min. Idss = 2.0 mA. Those can't be used as a 10 mA CCS? …..you need one with a bit higher than 10 mA Idss? …..are there many of those among J113 in a batch?
J112 has min. Idss = 5.0 mA so some of those could also be used?

How is the J113 selected for the CCS of the input stage?
When I read the datasheet J113 has a min. Idss = 2.0 mA. Those can't be used as a 10 mA CCS? …..you need one with a bit higher than 10 mA Idss? …..are there many of those among J113 in a batch?
J112 has min. Idss = 5.0 mA so some of those could also be used?

Use J111 or whatever jfet that will do the job.
J111 has Idss of 20mA then you degenerate with source resistance to get 10mA.
Papa is using 125 ohms to degenerate.

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member

Attachments

• ccs1.gif
    ccs1.gif
    47.7 KB · Views: 2,290
  • CCS-Test-2.gif
    CCS-Test-2.gif
    38.4 KB · Views: 2,277
Last edited:
It’s probably worth pointing out that psrr performance of the jfet ccs is not super critical in this particular location.
1) We have a regulated switch mode power supply.
2) We have RCRCRC filtering after the regulator
3) Then we have RC filtering (R8, C2) on the rail feeding the Jet CCS

And the Tannoys are 95 dB.

Here's a dumb question if the circuit produces 1 watt at 32ohms how many watts will it produce for an 8ohm load? I'm definitely going to try it out with my old Fortes. It would be nice if i could get the circuit to produce 1 watt driving an 8ohm speaker, then I could test the actual sensitivity of my speakers. I have a dB meter after all. If the test goes well i could always put the old crossovers back in and compare.

Have you considered ACA?
Output stage is essentially the same as this but biased at an appropriate level for speakers.

This circuit is very much limited by the bias current.
I’m guessing your speakers don’t produce a nice 8 ohm impedance plot.

You would need to increase the bias to achieve 1 watt rms into 8 Ohms which would then most likely need larger heat sinks than those shown.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
For those who are unwilling or unable to buy a handful of J113s, and make the necessary measurements to choose the right resistor values which create two 10mA current sources ...

I'm curious to know: how much would you pay "punkydawgs" or "fetaudio" another seller, to do the work for you? You pay him money and he sends you two little ziptop envelopes, each envelope contains 1 JFET and 1 resistor. Each envelope creates a 10.0 mA (± 5%) current source?

thanks

_

Attachments

• iii.png
    iii.png
    13.5 KB · Views: 2,074