Amp Camp Pre+Headphone Amp - ACP+

Surprised that no-one has answered your question yet.

Easy.
You wire the new ones in parallel with the original RCA Out.
Solder some thin, flexible wires to the pins of the RCA's or to the underside of the PCB. You should be able to find a suitable spot to take off the added Output.
Go slowly and carefully, trying not to make a mess and more trouble.
Enjoy.

One thing to keep in mind when simply adding another set out outputs in parallel: the output impedance increases. Depending upon your cablesʻ capacitance and the input impedance's of the driven amplifiers, you may end up with a roll-off in high frequency response (as I understand it). The higher the capacitance, the greater the load on the preamp output and therefore the greater the possibility that there will be high frequency roll-off. There is a way for calculating both the increase in impedance from paralleled outputs and the the decrease in roll-off frequency due to capacitance, but I am not knowledgable in that regard (sorry).

One way to avoid the issue is to drive the second pair of outputs with a buffer, such as the Pass original B1 buffer. PCBs and JFETS for the B1 buffer are available at PASSDIY.com. The Pass B1 requires up to 24 volts of power, and therefore is compatible with the PS for the ACP+.

I opened another preamp I have in hand, it seems there is a capacitor soldered between signal and ground of each rca output, that's I am thinking needed but don't know which one I shall have for ACP+.

IMG_3015.jpeg

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
One thing to keep in mind when simply adding another set out outputs in parallel: the output impedance increases.

No, it doesn’t. The downstream input impedance appears lower.

Depending upon your cablesʻ capacitance and the input impedance's of the driven amplifiers, you may end up with a roll-off in high frequency response (as I understand it). The higher the capacitance, the greater the load on the preamp output and therefore the greater the possibility that there will be high frequency roll-off. …

Mostly the right idea, however in the case of ACP+, which has an output that will handily drive 20ohm headphones, it absolutely will not matter nor change at line level. It’s a rocket-powered flamethrower where line level needs little more than a candle flame.

One way to avoid the issue is to drive the second pair of outputs with a buffer, such as the Pass original B1 buffer. PCBs and JFETS for the B1 buffer are available at PASSDIY.com. The Pass B1 requires up to 24 volts of power, and therefore is compatible with the PS for the ACP+.
This is a reasonable statement for some other preamps, yes. But not this one.

Parallel the line outputs with no concern.

I opened another preamp I have in hand, it seems there is a capacitor soldered between signal and ground of each rca output, that's I am thinking needed but don't know which one I shall have for ACP+

That would increase the capacitance, and there’s not much reason to do so. It’s probably on that preamp to help with switching selection noise.

Reactions: 1 user
Nice to know that the ACP plus has sufficient power to drive two separate devices! I had been thinking of adding a second set of outputs and was planning to use my B1 buffer which I had been saving for such an application. Thank you, 6L6 for your advice, as it will save me from an an- needed use of the B1.

What brand is the capacitors on the right? Please post a picture of the other side of the capacitor.

The Nichicon on the left - also post a picture of the other side.
If they are from the last run of the kits the 1000 uF caps are either Nichicon or Panasonics. If from a different vintage, let me know and I can look up what shipped when your kit was created. In any event, feel free to use either in the "gold" spot as they are both very high quality electrolytic caps - as have all of the 1000uFs that have been included in the kits. I have used every one of the 1000uFs that have shipped in the kit since I started building them, in the "gold" location and have found zero difference to my ears and a few others that have compared them. BUT don't take my word for it. Thats why we're here doing the DIY thing! Feel free to prove this to your own ears by swapping them around and giving it a critical listen. :)

These are the specs for the 1000uf caps in the latest run of the store kits:

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/667-EEU-FS1V102LB

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/647-UHV1V102MHD

--Tom

Reactions: 1 users
To run in parallel with the default one, or switched between the two? The latter is easy; just use a high quality 2 pole switch like the ones used for other inputs that you've seen like this nice setup Brosky offers with a nice break-out board for ease of installation:

https://glass-ware.stores.turbify.net/inseswandpcb.html

If you want to run them in parallel to drive two output loads, thats another thing altogether.

--Tom

Hello all

I am looking for ACP+ project. I have read the document, it states that all resistors are 1/2 watt except some higher wattage one.

I observe the schematic and I did not find the reason that it need 1/2W resistors. In my opinion , most of them can go with 1/4W resistors.

What is a reason behind 1/2W of resistors, am I missing something?

Actually, I am planing use dale rn55 resistors for this project. Is it ok to use for this project?

Thank you for every answer.

Tanwa