Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Bi Amp Opinion
Bi Amp Opinion
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th October 2019, 02:51 PM   #1
JSA1971 is offline JSA1971  Canada
diyAudio Member

Bi Amp Opinion
Default Bi Amp Opinion

Hello All,

Iíve been feeling the need to tinker or experiment with bi-amping a pair of speakers. Iím currently using my M2-x as my main amplifier but also have my DIY Aleph J which is sitting around waiting for itís turn to be put back into service. Iím asking for opinions as to which one would be best used in the Mid/Upper range and which would be better suited for the lower frequency duty and why that might be. I do realize they have different input sensitivities for their respective rated outputs so Iíd probably need an electronic crossover to compensate.

Any suggestions or opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Old 6th October 2019, 06:29 PM   #2
vdi_nenna is offline vdi_nenna  United States
diyAudio Member

Bi Amp Opinion
M2x low duty, but not that much work to try both ways.
Old 6th October 2019, 09:10 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Bi Amp Opinion
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdi_nenna View Post
M2x low duty, but not that much work to try both ways.
Absolutely an easy swap to try out, lol. I was just thinking that someone with more experience than I would have an idea why one might be better than the other for the low duty. I do know that the Aleph J (which I love and was my first build) is great into 8ohm loads but power is reduced into smaller loads, whereas the M2-x can deliver more power into lesser loads. Although I donít have any test information for my particular speakers (vintage JBL 150ís) that show impedance plots, I have read many reviews of speakers that seem to indicate that impedance dips usually reside in the lower frequencies so my initial thought was to try the M2 amp for the woofer. I know that my speakers arenít bi-ampable by construction but my plan was to disconnect the woofer leads and install an additional set of binding posts to wire the woofer independently and use an electronic crossover to provide the slope and crossover point that the internal crossover provides. If it doesnít sound good, I can just put it back as original.
Old 6th October 2019, 09:16 PM   #4
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

Bi Amp Opinion
don't leave bass xover parts in circuit , if you're not using it's function
Old 6th October 2019, 10:08 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Bi Amp Opinion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Mod View Post
don't leave bass xover parts in circuit , if you're not using it's function
Hi Zen Mod, the crossover plate in the speakers is rather large and not easily accessible as I found out when I recapped it last year. What problems or issue can you shed light on by just using the crossover to continue feeding the midrange and tweeter?

Thank you
Old 6th October 2019, 11:07 PM   #6
olsond3 is offline olsond3  United States
diyAudio Member

2nd order or higher crossovers can present very low impedances to the amplifier when there isn't a driver connected. Without the driver there, the circuit is just a coil and capacitor in series across the amplifier terminals. At the resonant frequency, it can look like a short. I blew up a very expensive amplifier this way several years ago.
Old 6th October 2019, 11:32 PM   #7
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

Bi Amp Opinion
I'm saying that just for bass section , if you disconnect driver from xover, leaving the same fed with amp

6db one will flap in breeze , so no biggie , while 12ddb and higher ones are having something shunting to gnd , and without driver as final load , that's no-no , as olsond3 already said
Old 6th October 2019, 11:37 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Bi Amp Opinion
Quote:
Originally Posted by olsond3 View Post
2nd order or higher crossovers can present very low impedances to the amplifier when there isn't a driver connected. Without the driver there, the circuit is just a coil and capacitor in series across the amplifier terminals. At the resonant frequency, it can look like a short. I blew up a very expensive amplifier this way several years ago.
Thanks for your reply oslond. Would putting an 8 ohm resistor in place of the woofer help with this or would this not work because itís not ďthe sameĒ type of resistive load created by the speaker coil in a magnetic field? Sorry for the non technical thought.
Old 6th October 2019, 11:38 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Bi Amp Opinion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Mod View Post
I'm saying that just for bass section , if you disconnect driver from xover, leaving the same fed with amp

6db one will flap in breeze , so no biggie , while 12ddb and higher ones are having something shunting to gnd , and without driver as final load , that's no-no , as olsond3 already said
Thanks Zen Mod
Old 7th October 2019, 12:13 AM   #10
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

Bi Amp Opinion
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSA1971 View Post
Thanks for your reply oslond. Would putting an 8 ohm resistor in place of the woofer help with this or would this not work because itís not ďthe sameĒ type of resistive load created by the speaker coil in a magnetic field? Sorry for the non technical thought.
wasting energy of amp on a dummy load

there is really no choice - are you or not disconnecting unloaded portion of xover

Bi Amp OpinionHide this!Advertise here!