Long skinny builders thread

Finally finished the PSU, I am getting +-23.8V. It has been quite a while since I started this project, the end is now in sight.
I have been working from home since Covid started, the problem is that it was not my home I was working from.

J2_PSU.jpg

My J2 is singing now. I first tested with it my pair of cheap test speakers. She is now hooked up to my Frugel-Horns being feed by my DAP through my Pre Iron SE. Sounds cleaner than my Sony Vfet, so far I have only listened with a glass of red wine in my hand.
The only problem that I have is that the blue leds are too bright.

Reactions: 1 user
The J2 design doesn't use the SJ74/SK170s in a balanced circuit. The SK170's are just implementing a constant current source for the SJ74s (which form a long-tailed pair).

As it turns out, you're actually better off with GR parts for the current source (the SK170s). According to my analysis (with all the usual caveats), you want the total to be 6 - 10mA (so, for instance, a 4mA and a 4.5mA would be ideal).
Due to difficulties in sourcing parts, been periodically scouting for the harder to find bits before starting assembly of this amp.
Like others, I've struggled to find genuine SK170 in GR grade. There are some BL grades being offered currently in the swap meet section in case these are of interest to others.

Would you advise picking up the lowest Idss versions there rather than holding out for a GR grade set? Could get <6.4mA quads.

For reference:
GR = 2.6 to 6.5mA
BL = 6 to 12mA

So a 6.4mA BL grade would technically fall within the bounds of the GR grade, but higher than Jeff's recommended sweet spot.