Burning Amp Festival 2019 with Build and Measurement Workshops!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2019
Paid Member
How about we compare hauls?

What loot did everyone get? I saw that some people wandered off with suit case packages of loot (didn't they, itsallinmyhead?).

LOL! The biggest haul for me was meeting everyone... or most everyone. I admit that I still get a chuckle that you randomly ran into Dennis, Jim, and me on the street. I wasn't quick enough to find a few people that I'd have dearly loved to thank in person, but next time. I also got to meet a lot of new people that I'd never directly corresponded with on line. A few new interests were sparked and many friends made. Some are even local... What a great first BAF!

As far as loot - I now consider myself incredibly lucky and will no longer say "I never win anything". I put my tickets in for Zen Mod's J2 kits and the Triplett 3444 generously donated by Brian. The Triplett was the suitcase. I had been looking for a tube tester for over a year. It's on the bench now ready for a refurb. I didn't get the J2 boards, but I'm sure ZM will have a set of boards I can buy soon. You can't win 'em all. :D

I also consider myself fortunate to have been able to purchase one of the ACP+ kits and was honored to take home Tom C's prototype HP-2. I've got an H2 generator heading my way in the future. I was so excited about the raffle, I forgot to pick one up.

I can't say it too many times - thank you to everyone that organized, donated, spoke, helped out and otherwise just provided good vibes and good times at BAF 2019.

I put 8 of my 10 tickets in for the ZM j2 kits and didn’t get one either, that cup was pretty stuffed full of tickets. I did score the big azura horns, now I gotta figure out what to do with them. Luckily my wife thinks they’re cool so she won’t mind too much when they make there way to the living room. :)

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Nice score Mordikai! I was wondering who the lucky winner was. I was really wanting to bid on them, but I would’ve had to shipped them all the way to CT and wifey sort of sighed when I told her I was eyeballing yet another pair of horns.

I managed to score ZM’s J2 boards...but only in overtime when they called a few numbers that didn’t respond. Not sure how many tickets I put in, but between me and my wife we had 20 and I only went in for the J2s and the Pilitron transformers. No score on the transformers, but I have some Anteks I can use.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
I just started this whole DIY thing in March... I have to ease my wife into it. :D I still get the random sidelong glance along with "Building another one, huh? How many of those things do you actually neeeeed?" under her breath. That's even for tiny projects, nevertheless 5U-sized boxes.

Horns in the living room (of that size) may be maaaaaany years down the road. She's cool with a quiet soldering iron and the not-so-improbable likelihood of a small fire, but if I started running power tools and taking up space for speaker builds, I may find myself on the street. I can only anticipate the response I'd get to... Honey, would you mind moving your car out of the garage for just a little bit? :rofl:

Congrats on the fantastic prizes, gents!

Joined 2008
Paid Member
A current pic of my living room.

My secret is that I abstain from most all other vices...don’t drink, don’t smoke (except while soldering)...what do I do?

My real goal is to finish renovating the sunroom so I will have room for a 3 or 4 way horn system.

Attachments

• 4C01E6AB-CDB9-49AC-9E1C-A4FF6C2179AA.jpg
    4C01E6AB-CDB9-49AC-9E1C-A4FF6C2179AA.jpg
    784.3 KB · Views: 322
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Go to the store and buy a bottle of Robert Mondavi Fume Blanc wine. It will cost between 8 and 18 dollars depending on the avarice of the shopowner. It's a lunch wine, enjoy it with your lunch.

You're welcome. Now you have a new expenditure line-item that costs $100 per month.

A current pic of my living room.

My secret is that I abstain from most all other vices...don’t drink, don’t smoke (except while soldering)...what do I do?

My real goal is to finish renovating the sunroom so I will have room for a 3 or 4 way horn system.

Looks great. Well done.

Speaking of vices, here's the caffeine vice unit we were talking about:
portaspresso - Rossa HC-P Hand Espresso

I'll get the :rolleyes: from other half when I do a coffee on the weekend. DIY coffee bean grinding - the whole bit - so, it's not an instant exercise at all.

Please visit me in the trauma ward... :D

Edited to add - I should be clear. With all the joking, my wife is remarkably supportive of my love for music and now DIY even if she doesn't particularly understand it herself. After all, she did give me a pair of speakers as a wedding gift.

All of it fits in the "test of love" category. And, in the case of DIY audio, it has musical benefits. No grounds to complain, really (well that's a position you can at least start from .. if you're feeling game).

;)

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
That was the Azul headphone amp. Ti Kan got a nice picture of it, as part of his wonderful BAF photo album

Ti Kan's Web Site

Azul was photo #19, I think/hope this is a direct link to that one image on Ti's website

https://www.amb.org/ti/audio/burningamp2019/baf2019-19.jpg

Right now I'm spending all my DIY time on photo #21 in Ti's album: Bob Cordell's Super Gain Clone amp and its two support PCBs, Compact3886 and PSU for chipamps. A group buy just hit diyAudio this week and that will keep me busy for a while.

When I've completed the necessary work for that project, i.e., at some unknown time in the future, I'll start a thread here on diyAudio about the Azul headphone amp and its big brother, the Rojo headphone amp. But not right away.

Azul's LH0033 metal cans were indeed mounted to a couple of finned heatsinks that are designed to fit Ball-Grid-Array ceramic packaged ASICs. I used thermal phase-change material pads from Laird, between the cans and the heatsinks, to ensure good heat transfer and to provide adhesion. More info and more photos when the Azul thread is created.

If you look closely at Ti Kan's photo, you can see the date of the Azul rev.1 PCB: 13 Sept 2019. It's a very recent project!

Yes, the three headphone amps were all named for colors: "Noir" (black), "Azul" (blue), "Rojo" (red). An unimaginative naming scheme to be sure.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.