Inductor Loaded De-Lite

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys, quick question for you. Maybe I'm on to something, or maybe I'm way off base.

Could the 300 watt light bulb power resistor in the De-Lite circuit be replaced by a high current inductor, such as the Hammond 193V (150mH, 1 ohm, 3A max DC). Would such a change require a complete redesign of the circuit? Would it be easier to start from scratch? I'm assuming at the very least the power supply voltage would be lower, since the inductor can store so much energy. Can the inductance of the inductor make up for the loss of load resistance the light bulb supplied?

Since completing my ACA, I've been looking at solid state designs using some iron in the amplifier circuit, like the Nemesis, FAOW #2, and MoFo. For one reason or another, they don't quite satisfy my requirements. I like the De-Lite circuit, ruthlessly simple with no NFB. The added efficiency of an inductor makes the circuit more attractive. I tried doing a simulation of my circuit idea, but didn't get very far. I also don't know which version of the De-Lite would be best suited to this modification, I was thinking the De-Luxe circuit.

If this is a completely silly idea, please say so! If not, I'd love to to hear your guys' thoughts!

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Here's my quick and dirty schematic to get an idea of what I want to do:

wGEDbpk.png

I'm assuming I want to keep the same bias current (2.2A), but half the supply voltage. A 36 VAC transformer should get me in the ballpark. Are there any glaring errors, or is this feasible?

yup and it's clearly written that there is 25V at mosfet drain

exactly what you need as PSU rail , using inductor instead of big voltage eaters

Whoops, I glossed over that very important bit of info. So if my rough calculations are correct, an 18 VAC transformer with the same 25,000 uf caps and 1 ohm resistor CRC filter should get me about a 24V rail. Pass mentions that the MOSFETS dissipate about 55W each. If they can actually dissipate that much power reliably, then I could stick to the 2.2 amp bias.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
If the idle is 2.2A, and the load is 8r, you can only swing 17.6V across the load, thus across the device. Taking 2.2V on the resistor and another couple volts lost in the transformer, you want 22V supply, not 50V. (This gives near 20W out for 50W total dissipation.)

The resistors (lamps) are MUCH more lossy, hence the higher voltage for that affair.

If the idle is 2.2A, and the load is 8r, you can only swing 17.6V across the load, thus across the device. Taking 2.2V on the resistor and another couple volts lost in the transformer, you want 22V supply, not 50V. (This gives near 20W out for 50W total dissipation.)

The resistors (lamps) are MUCH more lossy, hence the higher voltage for that affair.

Yes I see now that the inductor can make do with much lower voltage than a simple power resistor. It also looks like an inductor may actually be worth the huge added cost over light bulbs. Sounds to me like an 18VAC transformer is the way to go, if the same power supply filter can work with the lower voltage.

It was ok.
Had to use an 8ohm resistor in parallell with speakers to get more correct freq.responce as the damping is probaly quite low. Or should have built series filters for the speakers, this NP explains in First Watt article.

The nice thing with choke is that it dont give so much heat from bias, except from that probably just as good/bether to build F2 or ACA.

But it was fun building the amp and learning :)

You need big chokes to stop ripple from PSU, and to get som bass.
Smaller chokes and you get both PSU noice and not so much bass.
I would recommend even bigger than 400mH.

Think Pass used 1000mH on a construction? Am I wrong?

Best
oks

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Adason,
Thanks! You should stop by my lab and have a listen sometime. The beer is included. :cheers:

I am driving my usual power hungry 10F/RS225 transient perfect FAST speakers.

Although, recently I have been playing with an OB variant of the FAST speakers. You can see this amp plus a VHeX+ Class AB that I have been playing with on the OB.
777017d1566577438-10f-8424-rs225-8-fast-waw-ref-monitor-sb23-ps95-fast-03-jpg

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.