Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Inductor Loaded De-Lite
Inductor Loaded De-Lite
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th October 2020, 10:29 PM   #121
alexopth1512 is offline alexopth1512
diyAudio Member

I run a bipolar so I would try about 45V and about 90V both and correct I would limit the voltage of the capacitors which were too expensive at 100+ volts. I may also use this for other purposes ans amps
Simulation takes too long when I added the PSU into account. Before that it was running fast. Output FET is IXYS IXTH6N50D2. I found the models for IXYS in this site and i think IRFP on vendors site.
I destroyed the IXYS FET.
I upload one better picture, I have added there the XO from speakers nd PSU, also a second channel which doesn't show so we have better view.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot from 2020-10-18 01-26-15.png (122.2 KB, 80 views)
Old 17th October 2020, 10:53 PM   #122
Stanislav is offline Stanislav  Australia
diyAudio Member

If you replace R2 with a pot (47K) and add a resistor between Gate and Drain you will be able to bias the Fet.
And don't forget to add a gate stopper, maybe start at 220 ohm.
Old 17th October 2020, 11:12 PM   #123
Ben Mah is online now Ben Mah  Canada
diyAudio Member

Inductor Loaded De-Lite
https://ixapps.ixys.com/DataSheet/DS...-TH6N50D2).pdf

SOA from data sheet:

Note that for DC operation at case temperature 75 C, 2.0A at 90VDC.
Attached Images
File Type: png IXYS IXTH6N50D2 SOA.png (136.1 KB, 79 views)
Old 18th October 2020, 07:46 AM   #124
diyAudio Member

@Stanislav
This FET is supposed to be autobiased but you are right, I intend to put a potentiometer and a resistor in source in order to go to 2.2V, where Nelson has found a sweet spot at 100V, we ll see. A resistor between G and D? Like a feedback?
The 221 ohm is in series with input signal, right?

@PRR, this zener will looks from S to G, right? And what value?

@Ben I am not sure how to read this, what I can read is that for 75 C 4A and 100V I am safe (?), I understand I am safe below the lines right, I am not sure about the pulses. I am also a little concerned about this FET, I am ordering IXTH16N50D2, which has 16A nominal, since I am afraid some peaks may go over 6A.
Old 18th October 2020, 08:44 AM   #125
Stanislav is offline Stanislav  Australia
diyAudio Member

Yes, you are right, it's a depletion fet.
I didn't pay attention.
Ignore the previous recommendation.

Yes, 220 ohm goes right at the gate in series with input.

Last edited by Stanislav; 18th October 2020 at 08:48 AM.
Old 18th October 2020, 05:50 PM   #126
diyAudio Member

Changed switches and now I can have cooling on without main power on. I tested many times on off switching no issue.
Today it played music. I haven't installed the preamp yet, since listening room is under construction too but this week will happen.
I drove it with a very old Sony CD player XA20ES, which by the way has a volume control and fed an 8 Ohm $100 old speaker, these were available at the "lab" room. I put Army of Lovers it was the only CD around
First impression is that it managed to reach a good sound level without preamp at a rather insensitive cheap speaker. Sound was detailed and i was impressed by bass and middle. No curtain, voices were there near me. I was expecting a little better in highs, maybe CD player creates bad filter with the amplifier. However, everything was crystal clear and little details that I haven't heard before were very sound before me. To be honest I didn't expect this to be working lol but so far so good.
I intend to work for a week on the cheap equipment in order to see if any issues arise and also start building the second channel on another chassis.
Let's hope it will manage to drive the big Maggies in the end with the help of my 1 Ohm output preamp.
I let it play for two hours and I got 67 C, ambient 29 C. Cooling was at the very low. Depending on the result I may drive the FET even higher and throttle cooling.
Old 18th October 2020, 06:11 PM   #127
diyAudio Member

Inductor Loaded De-Lite
You are operating the device with continuous constant current so you need to stay under the DC line.

I think most would stay well under the DC line to be safe.
Attached Images
File Type: png IXYS IXTH6N50D2 SOA 100VDC.png (138.5 KB, 44 views)
Old 18th October 2020, 06:30 PM   #128
diyAudio Member

Inductor Loaded De-Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexopth1512 View Post
This FET is supposed to be autobiased but you are right, I intend to put a potentiometer and a resistor in source in order to go to 2.2V, where Nelson has found a sweet spot at 100V, we ll see.
I assume that is from http://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/art_delite.pdf De-Lux De-Lite.

The De-Lux De-Lite has a 100VDC supply but it also has a 300W bulb, not a Hammond 193V choke:

"As the light bulb glows brighter, the distortion continues to decline and the power
increases. And the transistor runs hotter, so take care that you have enough
heat sink. We are getting into the 50 to 60 watt dissipation territory for devices
which are rated at 300 watts, and with care mounting the transistor, it should be
plenty fine if you can put your hand on the sink for 10 seconds (50-55 deg C)".

Also:

"We can do much the same for the IXTH6N50D2, and Figure 10 shows the circuit
of Figure 7 at 100V DC and 2.2 A. This requires a Gate voltage in between the
Source and Ground voltage, so we adjust the input bias with a potentiometer as
shown. Typically a 10K pot will end up being adjusted for about 25V DC at the
Drain of the transistor."

So Vds is 25V-2.2V= 22.8V, Iq=2.2A, power dissipation = 22.8V x 2.2A=50.2W.

You are running your device much hotter.
Old 18th October 2020, 08:02 PM   #129
diyAudio Member

Yes, correct, it's from there the idea. i know it has bulb, I want to try the 193V and see what happens.
I measured again today with the correct multimeter and i have 90V reaching the FET and 1.8V across the Rsource, so we have 3.6 A. That gives us 324 Watts. And I can get them out of the FET. So no issue I guess. I will build a CCS too for that amperage to see if it will improve things. In general that was the idea for this project, to see how much heat i can dissipate. And to scare you more, I intend to use a second liquid cooler and increase things even worse , with other FETs coming already
  Reply to this post

Inductor Loaded De-LiteHide this!Advertise here!