Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

F5 V3
F5 V3
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th January 2020, 10:46 PM   #381
AudioSan is offline AudioSan  Norway
diyAudio Member

Those CL60's will get very hot. so no heatshrink. Get them a little bit up from any metal. And don't let any wires get glose to them. everytime i use those euroblocks, i cut out a peice of bitumen to have under the Block for extra safety.

Last edited by AudioSan; 19th January 2020 at 10:48 PM.
Old 19th January 2020, 10:49 PM   #382
chede is offline chede  Germany
... fascinated by amps
diyAudio Member

F5 V3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jan492 View Post
Also I didn't put shrink wrap on my CL-60 legs because the black insulation on them went far enough down the legs to cover the exposed wire. Hope that's cool.

Hi Jesse,

missing shrinkwrap on the legs of your CL-60's is not the thing that concerns me here. The CL-60's get very hot in use (including their legs) - they're designed that way, to lower their resistance when in steady-state, after the initial switch-on.

Having them so close to the Euro terminal blocks, there's the real risk that you melt away the insulation on the terminals, resulting in a short.

CL-60's short always be mounted vertically resp. well away from every nearby surface, and with their full, unshortened leg length to not put too much heat into the terminal blocks. Have a look at 6L6's build guides ...

All the best, Claas

Edit: ZenMod and AudioSan beat me to it ...

Last edited by chede; 19th January 2020 at 10:53 PM.
Old 19th January 2020, 10:56 PM   #383
2 picoDumbs is offline 2 picoDumbs  Australia
diyAudio Member

Use this type of terminal block.
1546670-4 TE Connectivity AMP Connectors | Connectors, Interconnects | DigiKey

Bend legs so Thermistor is mounted vertically.
Old 19th January 2020, 10:57 PM   #384
jan492 is offline jan492
diyAudio Member

Roger that. I will order the black terminal strips. I'd like to not have ruined my CL60s by cutting the legs off. This pic is from 6L6 guide and shows short legs. Can I do that? Or is there concern that the heat could melt the solder?

TB200-04 Eaton - Bussmann Electrical Division | Connectors, Interconnects | DigiKey

Thank you Chede and audiosan. It's good to have it explained in other words too.

There are an awful lot of pics and guides with the CL60s in euroblocks and very close to other wires.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6l6block.jpg (73.6 KB, 48 views)
Old 19th January 2020, 11:05 PM   #385
chede is offline chede  Germany
... fascinated by amps
diyAudio Member

F5 V3
You could use the ones with the short legs still always for the connection between signal ground and chassis ground - normally no current flowing there, no heat. And in case of a fault, they need only to pass so much current that the circuit breaker trips ... so, unlikely to get very hot because of their thermal inertia ...
Old 19th January 2020, 11:08 PM   #386
AudioSan is offline AudioSan  Norway
diyAudio Member

I allways use a softstart circuit that bypass the CL-60's after a short while.

F5 V3Hide this!Advertise here!