Balanced B1 with Korg Triode

Joined 2013
Paid Member
Performance wise, your single ended B1K would be equal to a Balanced version with RCA input/output. From what I understand, the noise reduction in a Balanced circuit only happens with XLR outputs into an amplifier with XLR (balanced) inputs.
I built the Balanced version to take advantage of the Aleph J balanced inputs.
I have a single ended B1K which I use with the M2X amplifier, a match made in heaven!
Don't have "buyers remorse", the Balanced version is very limited providing the noise reduction since very few amplifiers have Balanced inputs. Besides, the microphonic issues are times 2 with a Balanced version.

The B1K is the best tube preamp I will ever afford to own.

Joined 2013
Paid Member
I have a Music Hall 25.3 DAC with a Balanced output using four chips, so I understand. You can build it with XLR inputs and use an adapter from XLR to RCA for the output. It may be possible to wire the outputs with RCA positive to Pin 2 XLR and RCA negative to Pin 3 XLR. BEFORE YOU DO THIS, please get a second, third, forth opinion until someone gives you fact. Not me, I just build them according to someone else's instructions.
Be aware, that the key to the Balanced version is having the ability to measure harmonic distortion so that you end up with 2H, and very little 3H.
Good Luck, when listening to mine it feels like I'm on stage the sound is 3D, amazing.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
To have a balanced preamp that takes a balanced input and has a balanced output for an amp with balanced input, one way is to use 2 circuit boards and parts,

Maybe a signal transformer for balanced to mono input then another mono to balanced or the same with similar device using opamps...

But if you only want to change a balanced input to a single ended preamp circuit then out to a single ended amp, then that’s easy using an adaptor at the pre input.

If you really want to build a true differential balanced Korg Nutube amp build the Pete Millett one. I have, and it is wonderful.
nash

Are you referring to this one? Nutube Balanced Amp

I was thinking of doing the balanced B1 like in this thread. Is the analyzer necessary to get the channels matched? I've made a single-ended Korg B1 and I adjusted the 2H by measuring the voltage at T7 and T8, based on the PDF guide. Is that method insufficient for the balanced version?