NP interviews on Youtube

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This video was a treat to watch. Thank you, Nelson, for sharing your time, talents and efforts for those of us who follow you.

I would have loved to hear your see-through speakers.

My personal take is that what you created was a push-pull plasma speaker.

In the 1970s, Hill Plasmatronics made a system with conventional cone drivers and a plasma tweeter that was purported to be flat to 100kHz. Hill's unique twist was to leak a small amount of helium into the plasma arc to mitigate ozone production. Hill's tweeter was driven direct by a tube amp much as Acoustat made a tube direct drive electrostat amplifier.

Magnat was another company who made a plasma tweeter.

As far as I know, neither Hill's tweeter nor Magnat's tweeter were push-pull.

Push-pull is the way to go. In theory, a push pull speaker has zero distortion. I did a derivation of the force on a push pull electrostat diaphragm for a senior paper in EE school.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
In the 1970s,.......

:clown:

Treshold treasure ……. Audio & Video Aircheck Magazine article | Zen Mod Blog

AIRCHECK-3.jpg

Wow, I always knew, that papa must be cool guy, but he is even more cool in person:) Looking forward for the rest!

I'm attracted to plasma-based speakers since I've read about Hill's Plasmatronics. I didn't knew about this Nelson's invention, so I'm really impressed.

I wish I could ever listen to something like this.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.