Pass Labs XA-25 Impressions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I bought this amplifier on May, and had been waiting for a proper burn in to write about its sound. I guess it must have more than 500 hours of music playnig time. Context: Loudspeakers - Spatial Audio M4 Triode Masters, linestages- Supratek Chardonnay w/ 6SN7 tubes and Pass diy ba-3. I listen to CD’s and computer downloads and ripped CD’s using a Mac mini and Audirvana.My other amplifier is a First Watt F4, factory made.

So, firstly, how does it compare to the F4? To me they sound more different than similar. Both are very transparent and musical in their own way. The F4 does not have the bass control and extension of the XA, not close. It might seem to give a more clear and transparent presentation, and I guess is because of that attribute. The XA images are denser and instruments appear to be bigger, it’s about density here. And even if it seems to sound a little bit darker, all the details are there in a more startling way. It is smoother and sweeter than the F4 also. With the Supratek, the F4 comes closer to the XA, due to its nature. The XA, with the Supratek might be too much of a “good thing” though, I have to listen more to this combination. One interesting aspect of the XA is that even after being on standby mode or even full on before a listenning session, at least an hour of music playing is needed for full bloom. It gets really hot also, like the F4.

Supposedly, my Spatial’s are not bass producing stars, but with the XA the bass is deeper and powerfull sounding with superb control. I wonder how would their 12 ohm impedance effect the performance of the XA. Power delivery, would it be less than 25w? Thanks to Nelson for this design! And like it’s said in spanish “Paz y felicidad” which translates to “peace and happiness “ it might be said “Pass y felicidad” !

Joined 2002
Paid Member
No lies at all. As Hikari said, just conservatively rated at low THD.

The voltage rails are high enough to produce very clean output at significant
higher wattage. I believe the higher voltage rails help with lower distortion
but I don't presume to know if that may the reason for their use in this instance.

Question: Manolo mentioned a standby mode. Has the XA25 been revised
to include one? The copy I'm familiar with does not appear to have one. (It
seems to just have a single on/off switch on the front).

Cheers,
Dennis

Joined 2002
Paid Member
My apologies....I knew your comment was tongue in cheek, but I left out my smilie. :)

I read some of the comments on the linked review in Stereophile and one person
did seem imply this conservative rating was somehow done to try to "fool readers".
Kinda perplexing....

Do XA.25 benefit of " Square Law " ?

Attachments

• 510FF5DB-7009-4AA9-A751-703C3FD7C0A9.JPG
    510FF5DB-7009-4AA9-A751-703C3FD7C0A9.JPG
    420.7 KB · Views: 424
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.