Nelson Pass F5 or F5T

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everybody, I’m totalt new to this forum and in need of your advice.
I have borrowed a Nelson Pass DIY F5 from my brother and used it to drive my JBL blue baffles 4333A and it sounds amazing. TheJBL’s have horns, a 15” woofer and have an efficiency of 93db. Its only 25W in class A but I can’t really say that it is lacking in power even at really high sound levels. I have now started the research which of the F5’s I should build, the F5 or the F5T.

How much more would the F5T cost to build compared to the regular F5?

Is there a sound difference between the two and would the F5T give a bigger sound stage?

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Best regards, Martin

Joined 2000
Paid Member
With 93db speakers, F5 is plenty. You gain 3db with F5T v2 and 6db with 100W mono F5T v3. With just a standard F5 at 8w, you are at 102db. Get a db meter or an app for phone and see at which level you like listening.

How much more would the F5T cost to build compared to the regular F5?

Referencing DIYAudio store chassis'.

Depends on a few things. Which version of the F5T are you interested in?
A stereo F5T v2 in a 5U chassis will cost considerable less than 100W mono blocks v3 in a 5U chassis'. You could go with a single power supply in the F5T v2, but dual-mono is better.

You can build a F5 in a 4U chassis; also the F5T v1 with added mosfets on the output, keeping in mind that you will have to watch the bias level to keep the heat sink temp and mosfets in a safe range.

Dual-mono and mono-blocks are a lot of work, but that's entirely up to you and how far you are willing to go.

In case you are wondering, the sound of a F5T is more relaxed than a standard F5. I've built two F5s, 50w F5T v2 dual-monos and heard 100w mono-blocks. Newer standard F5 boards have a P3 adjustment, so you might be able to tweak the sound a bit around 2nd and 3rd harmonic.

Good luck! :)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
my vote for M2 - it'll sound divine with that JBLs

and super easy to make , no other setting than output DC offset...... say dual mono , preferably in 4U/400 case ( more space than in usual 4U/300 Store jobbie)

amp from heaven for horn speakers

for my ears (of comparable amps) only Babelfish M25 and of course SissySIT are better , but count that I'm heavily biased ..... and all Greedy Boyz know that I'm World's Greatest M2 Advocate

:clown:

If 25w is enough for you and speakers are 8ohm then definitely standard f5.

F5T sounds different, feedback is different. Standard F5 sounds more forward and lively.

I’ve done both. I need the wattage so I choose f5T. If I didn’t need the wattage I would choose f5.

Thanx for all info and advices!!!

The speakers are 8ohm speakers so I’ll focus my future build towards the regular F5 or maybe the M2.

The room is 4 X 10 meters in size (13’ X 33’).

Is I mentioned earlier I tried my brothers regular F5 with my setup and I can tell it has enough power to drive my system, even at high volyme. It is odd though that 25W is enough when those 15” woofers. They normally needs at least 200W from a high end amplifier to get full control.

Once again thanx for your help!

/ Martin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.