J-fet Pass project advise please

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi
I have acquired a few original 2sk170b and 2sj74
and 10x ( lsk170 free samples ) Idss range 3-4mA
i am looking to build a mezmeriser B1 buffer
a matched quad is needed
and have i got a good enough 2sk170 / 2sj74 match for a stereo complimentary set ?
i have tested what i have see pic
and would the lsk170 be any good in the power supply of the mez idss 3-4mA
20190616_140101 (1) by glenn jarrett, on Flickr
20190616_170008 by glenn jarrett, on Flickr

You don't appear to have great matches, but perhaps they aren't
necessary. Is there a copy of the Mesmerizer circuit to look at?

(the forum search did not show me one)

In any case, Punkydawgs on Ebay will sell you a quad match for $80.

I bought some from Punkydawgs so that I could build some more of your designs, and was pleasantly surprised to find out who that really was when I saw the return address...

The best example of the variability in commercial products shows up in the cheap Chinese condenser microphones.

Until the last few years, many of these included surplus 2SK170BLs in common source amplifiers, with a fixed bias resistor that is almost never right...often shockingly off, even though these are grouped in IDSS ranges that get you in a ballpark. You can hear the distortion until you go through the process of putting in a temporary pot and finding the resistance that leads to the correct operating point. Then that gets replaced with the closest fixed resistor.

There is a whole aftermarket industry modding these microphones.

If you are a GarageBand teenage rock star, you won’t hear the difference in the original, but if you do, it becomes unusable. It is like anything, you can easily spend 90-99% more of your resources to get that last 10% of performance, but that’s where the glory is. Everyone has their own point where the outcome is just good enough, and most consumers are not very discriminating.

My day job is not electronics, but I have recently become a Pass-inspired FETologist...and have a long way to go, but it seems to me that finding the correct operating point for your actual FET in hand is critical to the type performance we are looking for around here. There doesn’t seem to be an easy shortcut...in a critical circuit, even buying the right 2SK170 subgroup isn’t enough.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.