First amp build, looking for some high level advise...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Pardon my humor. I personally would not need that many watts, what
with listening to Brazilian lounge all day, but audiophile legend has it that
Maggies don't really get up and dance until you give them some power.....

;)

Nothing to pardon. It made me chuckle. :) My response might be because I read a review yesterday of the Magnepan .7 where the reviewer recommended a 500 watt amp to make them come alive. My take was he either had really bad electronics, really bad hearing or wanted club level volumes (in which case he shouldn't be listening to Magnepans).

150-200 w/ch is pretty serious stuff if you are not an experianced builder. A small mistake can end up expensive.Also as has been pointed out there is a log function to perceived loudness.If you must do it I reccomend buying a well known and tested kit amp.Then follow all the intructions carefully,I suppose you can get by without a scope but a good multimeter and a dummy load should be used before connecting your precious speakers.Any hf osc or dc offset will blow your drive units in no time.Good luck.

Hey all,

Thanks for all of this feedback. I've been reading through these and through countless other threads on this forum and I have a couple of thoughts and maybe another question. I'm a newb and I'm now second guessing this notion that more power will make these speakers sound BETTER... I don't need them louder, I just want to see if they're capable of more than what they're doing/sounding better than they do with the Linn Majik.

1) Perhaps I'll just build an F4, get 50w rms at 4ohms to each channel. I have a tube preamp (schiit) that might pair nicely with that. From what I've been reading, the F4 puts out a really nice sound, and ultimately that's what I 'm going for.

2) Anyone have any experience with the honey badger a/b? There's certainly a lot of power there.

What would you guys do? I have an Objective DAC > Schiit Valhalla 2 > Linn Majik-I (old style) > ADS m12/90's.

I listen to a wide variety of music - I like tubes - a warm sound... but also listen to some pretty hard rock and such sometimes and like it to be fast and punchy.

Clearly, I'm lost haha!

Hey all,

Thanks for all of this feedback. I've been reading through these and through countless other threads on this forum and I have a couple of thoughts and maybe another question. I'm a newb and I'm now second guessing this notion that more power will make these speakers sound BETTER... I don't need them louder, I just want to see if they're capable of more than what they're doing/sounding better than they do with the Linn Majik.

1) Perhaps I'll just build an F4, get 50w rms at 4ohms to each channel. I have a tube preamp (schiit) that might pair nicely with that. From what I've been reading, the F4 puts out a really nice sound, and ultimately that's what I 'm going for.

2) Anyone have any experience with the honey badger a/b? There's certainly a lot of power there.

What would you guys do? I have an Objective DAC > Schiit Valhalla 2 > Linn Majik-I (old style) > ADS m12/90's.

I listen to a wide variety of music - I like tubes - a warm sound... but also listen to some pretty hard rock and such sometimes and like it to be fast and punchy.

Clearly, I'm lost haha!

I’d buy a turntable :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.