Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

F7 PCBs
F7 PCBs
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th June 2019, 10:13 PM   #1
2bz is offline 2bz  United States
diyAudio Member

F7 PCBs
Default F7 PCBs

Are F7 boards available for sale?
Old 8th June 2019, 10:14 PM   #2
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

F7 PCBs
they will be , as soon original schematic is unveiled

Old 8th June 2019, 10:58 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

F7 PCBs
Timing?
Old 8th June 2019, 11:36 PM   #4
gary s is offline gary s  Australia
diyAudio Member

That would be totally up to Nelson to decide if at all. Still a current commercial product as offered by First Watt I believe.
Old 9th June 2019, 05:09 PM   #5
Nelson Pass is offline Nelson Pass  United States
The one and only

F7 PCBs
When new FW amp comes out we will probably let it go.

But there are unofficial schematics for it on this site.
Old 9th June 2019, 08:02 PM   #6
jens r. is offline jens r.  Germany
diyAudio Member

We are looking forward to it!
Regards
Jens
Old 9th June 2019, 08:34 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

F7 PCBs
What would be the down side to selling to both sales channels (pre-built and dyi market) at the same time? It seems to me that you have two distinct customers: (1) The audiophile with money and no technical skills, who would only buy the pre-built unit and (2) The engineer, who wants the challenge of making it himself and is too cheap/poor to ever buy off the shelf. I can't see either customer cannibalizing sales from the other. My $0.02 worth.
Old 9th June 2019, 09:18 PM   #8
wdavis009 is offline wdavis009  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bz View Post
What would be the down side to selling to both sales channels (pre-built and dyi market) at the same time? It seems to me that you have two distinct customers: (1) The audiophile with money and no technical skills, who would only buy the pre-built unit and (2) The engineer, who wants the challenge of making it himself and is too cheap/poor to ever buy off the shelf. I can't see either customer cannibalizing sales from the other. My $0.02 worth.
Downside is people/companies would build clones for commercial purposes which would steal sales while the F7 is still available. Also, the divide is not as clean as you claim. I am not an engineer or technical person by any stretch of the imagination but I know how to solder, read a schematic, and therefore build a kit if the PCB is available. I have owned Pass Labs commercial products and currently own multiple commercial tube amps that sell for more than the FW commercial amps even though I have built 3 FW clones. I have built my own FW amps because (1) it is an enjoyable pass time and (2) allows me to try different amps that I would probably not try if I had to pay the retail price.
Old 9th June 2019, 09:28 PM   #9
wdavis009 is offline wdavis009  United States
diyAudio Member

Nelson,

Just curious if FW has ever considered selling complete commercial kits either for currently available models or even models you have designed but decided to not offer commercially for one reason or another.
Old 9th June 2019, 09:56 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

F7 PCBs
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdavis009 View Post
Downside is people/companies would build clones for commercial purposes which would steal sales while the F7 is still available. Also, the divide is not as clean as you claim. I am not an engineer or technical person by any stretch of the imagination but I know how to solder, read a schematic, and therefore build a kit if the PCB is available. I have owned Pass Labs commercial products and currently own multiple commercial tube amps that sell for more than the FW commercial amps even though I have built 3 FW clones. I have built my own FW amps because (1) it is an enjoyable pass time and (2) allows me to try different amps that I would probably not try if I had to pay the retail price.
First, I think you overestimate the size of the Firstwatt market, it's not Apple and not likely on anyone's radar. Also, If I wanted to steal sales, I would buy a commercial unit and have it reverse engineered in an afternoon. I am just saying that they are missing out on cash flow from DIY'ers by waiting to release.

Last edited by 2bz; 9th June 2019 at 09:58 PM.

F7 PCBsHide this!Advertise here!