Leaving Class A - 2019 Redux

In the UK they have put a limit on Hoover (vacuum cleaner) powers to stop wasting power. They are banning incandescent lamps.

I still can't see them using LEDs inside an oven to see how the dinner is cooking unless they use some sort of light pipe technology.

I'm a happy man also as I run a class AB, 50mA quiescent, MOSFET 50+50W amp and a full class A, 3A quiescent, 20+20W amp and I can't tell the difference at all. Both my designs. I've been designing them for over 50 years.

Attachments

• 300W bulb.jpg
    300W bulb.jpg
    412.5 KB · Views: 331
I suspect my hearing is poor, perhaps it always has been. Maybe a blessing.

it also speaker dependent , i used to like brutal 200W amplifier like Goldmunds with low efficiency speakers , but with Horn and Filterless speaker it's a totally different game you are in direct with your amplifier and his design ,damping factor , biasing and even components are crucial.

Hi from Spain.

One of my tricks, maybe the first, with my second-hand AV Marant SR4500 (I bought to go experimenting with it without having to spend a lot of money) was to upload the bias. The sound clearly improved, being cleaner and detailed.

Since then I did other things until I have reached a great sound quality. Now I appreciate much more than before when I try to touch up the bias.

The only thing I have been unable to improve enough is the 2-D sound. I suppose that would require another harmonic profile, predominant H2, at about 73 dB, and not very complex music (that is, not an orchestral mass). Of course, when listening mainly in the near field I can live with the new improved 2-D.

The music fills the room (thanks to coaxial speakers) but it would be appreciated more deeply. When the music excites me I get up and then I stop listening in the near field.

- maty -

it also speaker dependent , i used to like brutal 200W amplifier like Goldmunds with low efficiency speakers , but with Horn and Filterless speaker it's a totally different game you are in direct with your amplifier and his design ,damping factor , biasing and even components are crucial.

The class A drives my Audiomaster BBC LS3/5a's standing on homebuilt Falcon AB1's. The class AB drives my KEF Concertos which have the Wilmslow crossover upgrade.

There is nothing wrong with consuming energy. The planet is just fine, other than the cooling we are experiencing due to current solar cycle. The solar panel/windmill fetish is a farce, if you want "sustainable" clean energy then invest more in nuclear.

In the meantime, I'll be biasing my amps and living life.

Back on Track?

Howdy all - could we please get back on track? Never mind the politics and global warming and hearing acuity and so forth.

Nelson, I have a question about the klunk formulas in the article:

"Where an amplifier channel is rated at 100 watts, but draws 50 watts at idle:

Pa 0 * 50 / 100 / 4 = 6.25 watts"

I'm just not getting this. Not understanding what "Pa O * 50" means. Not understanding where 6.25 comes from. I do remember elementary algebra...

I have an AB amp, 80 watts per channel @ 8 ohms, 35 watt idle current draw. The klunk is pretty low, it would seem, but I can't figure it. (Denafrips Hyperion amp.)

Thanks!

Joined 2012
Paid Member
I think there may be some typos in the equation.

I may be wrong but it seems to me that the equation is:

Pa = Pd*Pd/Po/4

where Pa=Class A power, Pd=Watts from power outlet at idle, Po=maximum amplifier power output

So in the example, Pd=50W, Po=100W,

therefore Pa=50*50/100/4=6.25W