Microphonics from B1 with Korg NuTube Buffer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2014
Paid Member
My apologies if this question is answered in another thread. I've read quite a bit but might have missed the answer. But I know very little about tubes.

I have a B-1 preamp feeding a Korg NuTube buffer (by P Millett). Yes, I realize this is redundant (buffer on a buffer) but wanted to try out the sound quality of the Nu Tube before I launch into the proper solution (B1 with NuTube from the DIYAudio store). I get microphonics when I switch inputs. Is there a solution to this problem? Is it worth worrying about?

Thank you.

I get the same - when I switch the input over, the nutube rings for anything up to 30-40s. I have my nutube mounted on 3m foam pad but the circuit board is attached directly to the chassis without damping.

Perhaps see if you can isolate the switch from the chassis with a rubber washer for example.

I just built the DIYAudio kit. The NuTube is mounted to the board with double-sided foam tape. The standoffs are too short to allow any rubber washers under the board unless I leave the mounting nuts off.

My NuTube is very microphonic, no, it is intensely microphonic. I've heard normal tubes ring when you tap on them, I've never heard a tube ring from ambient airborne noises before.
I can sit on my couch 7-8 feet away from my rig and clap my hands, and the NuTube will ring. Needless to say, it rings constantly when playing music in the room.
All my test voltages read good. It passes a relatively undistorted sine wave.

The problem is not helped by the ventilation slots in the enclosure covers.
Do you think my NuTube is defective?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.