Difference between Pass Labs Aleph 3 and Aleph 5

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am deciding and comparing Aleph 3 and 5.

Both takes 250-300W power. Aleph 3 is 30W/ch and 5 is 60W/ch. 5 is taller than 3.

It puzzles me that the power consumption of Aleph 5 is just slightly more than that of Aleph 3.

I am wondering about the difference between their sound and their design.

I am deciding and comparing Aleph 3 and 5.

Both takes 250-300W power. Aleph 3 is 30W/ch and 5 is 60W/ch. 5 is taller than 3.

It puzzles me that the power consumption of Aleph 5 is just slightly more than that of Aleph 3.

I am wondering about the difference between their sound and their design.

There was a pass article where almost all the amplifier were compared (in tabular form) specification wise. I mean power consumption, power output, topology, feedback etc. I cant remember where I saw/read that. Will search and see if I can find it.
Regards

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Aleph is an Aleph is an Aleph ....... only exception being Aleph J , as slightly different beast (by Papa's words - his fave and probably best of entire series)

difference between them being number of output pairs , rails voltage and AC gain ( practically current contribution of Aleph CCS in output)

Attachments

• A3srvr0.pdf
    364 KB · Views: 224
  • a5serv0.pdf
    284 KB · Views: 207
Aleph 5 is aleph 3 with more output mosfets, higher voltage rails and a bigger chassis. Just build aleph 5 and you want aleph 3 take out some output mosfets and reduce rail voltage.

If I had easy to drive 8 ohm speakers and don’t listen extremely loud I would choose aleph 3.

I have 87db 6 ohm 3-way speaker’s and listen loud so I choose F5 turbo

I hope ggould's query has been answered, so posting little offtopic question.

Does anyone know an article where some pass amplifiers had specifications like circuit topology, gain, output power etc. in neatly arranged tabular form ? I searched almost all pass articles. But could not find it.
Thanks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.