Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

CLC vs. CRC
CLC vs. CRC
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th May 2019, 06:08 PM   #1
oreo382 is offline oreo382  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default CLC vs. CRC

Has anyone direct experience with a FirstWatt clone that has gone from a CRC supply to a CLC supply? I'm talking same amp.If so are there any sonic benefits to doing so? In addition it is a standard 1 toroid,dual secondary,dual FWB rectifiers.I can get a couple of Hammond 159Zl 2.5mH 10A chokes for about $40 each.I can see from simulations quite a reduction in ripple voltage but would there be sonic benefits from this relatively cheap mod?
Old 10th May 2019, 06:26 PM   #2
BigE is offline BigE  Canada
diyAudio Member

Can these be used effectively?

SuperQ Steel Core Coils | ERSE
Old 10th May 2019, 06:44 PM   #3
Blk Dynamite is offline Blk Dynamite  United States
diyAudio Member

I don't have a direct comparison on the same model switching from one to the other but I did use a CLC on an AJ and CRC on the M2X and while the AJ has less ripple noise, I had no issues with hum on 98db speakers with either. I would have used a CLC on the M2X but was concerned with interstage contamination. To be honest in the grand scheme of things, i'm not sure its all that noticeable; at least not on these two models. I'm sure it varies with other models and builds.
Old 10th May 2019, 06:47 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
Can these be used effectively?

SuperQ Steel Core Coils | ERSE
I have been looking at those as well.In one of Nelson's Pass amps he uses something similar,picture shows 2 end to end with 4 leads coming off them.Not sure if they are for the DC supply.The core area on those Erse's is about 1.6 sq. cm and 10cm long.Not sure if they would saturate with about 2.5 amps D.C. flowing.Maybe someone with more knowledge can give an educated guess.I'd hate to spend the money and fing they don't work.I'm in Canada and parts are quite a bit more expensive up here.The Hammonds would work for sure as they are designed specifically for that type of use.
Old 10th May 2019, 06:50 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Blk Dynamite----My speakers are 87db and I have no hum as it is.Maybe I just can't leave well enough alone. I've always been a tweeker
Old 10th May 2019, 06:53 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreo382 View Post
Blk Dynamite----My speakers are 87db and I have no hum as it is.Maybe I just can't leave well enough alone. I've always been a tweeker

If you got the parts and feel like tinkering around, might as well but I don't think you need to go out and buy stuff. I'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong though
Old 10th May 2019, 07:11 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote from another DIY member in another CLC thread "Originally posted by steenoe

A CLC supply is very fast and responsive and the sound is just about the best that can be had!!

Steen"

That quote was dittoed by another member so I think i'm going to bite the bullet and go ahead with the Hammonds.I'll let the thread know the outcome of my toils.
Old 10th May 2019, 07:17 PM   #8
BigE is offline BigE  Canada
diyAudio Member

If you look at the erse specs, they claim they are good to 500 or 600 watts. If that is sine, then that is effectively about 350 or 420 DC watts of heating load. I've got around 40 volts DC at 5 amps.... I will give it a shot.

I bought some of these already, but have trouble finding room in the amp. The only test will be to measure ripple before and after.
Old 10th May 2019, 07:24 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
If you look at the erse specs, they claim they are good to 500 or 600 watts. If that is sine, then that is effectively about 350 or 420 DC watts of heating load. I've got around 40 volts DC at 5 amps.... I will give it a shot.

I bought some of these already, but have trouble finding room in the amp. The only test will be to measure ripple before and after.
Where did you get yours? Also what is the P/N if you don't mind.I'd like to take a look at them.Thanks.
Old 10th May 2019, 07:31 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreo382 View Post
Quote from another DIY member in another CLC thread "Originally posted by steenoe

A CLC supply is very fast and responsive and the sound is just about the best that can be had!!

Steen"

That quote was dittoed by another member so I think i'm going to bite the bullet and go ahead with the Hammonds.I'll let the thread know the outcome of my toils.
I think I used the 159z model on mine...

CLC vs. CRCHide this!Advertise here!