CLC vs. CRC

Has anyone direct experience with a FirstWatt clone that has gone from a CRC supply to a CLC supply? I'm talking same amp.If so are there any sonic benefits to doing so? In addition it is a standard 1 toroid,dual secondary,dual FWB rectifiers.I can get a couple of Hammond 159Zl 2.5mH 10A chokes for about $40 each.I can see from simulations quite a reduction in ripple voltage but would there be sonic benefits from this relatively cheap mod?

I don't have a direct comparison on the same model switching from one to the other but I did use a CLC on an AJ and CRC on the M2X and while the AJ has less ripple noise, I had no issues with hum on 98db speakers with either. I would have used a CLC on the M2X but was concerned with interstage contamination. To be honest in the grand scheme of things, i'm not sure its all that noticeable; at least not on these two models. I'm sure it varies with other models and builds.

Can these be used effectively?

SuperQ Steel Core Coils | ERSE

I have been looking at those as well.In one of Nelson's Pass amps he uses something similar,picture shows 2 end to end with 4 leads coming off them.Not sure if they are for the DC supply.The core area on those Erse's is about 1.6 sq. cm and 10cm long.Not sure if they would saturate with about 2.5 amps D.C. flowing.Maybe someone with more knowledge can give an educated guess.I'd hate to spend the money and fing they don't work.I'm in Canada and parts are quite a bit more expensive up here.The Hammonds would work for sure as they are designed specifically for that type of use.

Quote from another DIY member in another CLC thread "Originally posted by steenoe

A CLC supply is very fast and responsive and the sound is just about the best that can be had!!

Steen"

That quote was dittoed by another member so I think i'm going to bite the bullet and go ahead with the Hammonds.I'll let the thread know the outcome of my toils.

If you look at the erse specs, they claim they are good to 500 or 600 watts. If that is sine, then that is effectively about 350 or 420 DC watts of heating load. I've got around 40 volts DC at 5 amps.... I will give it a shot.

I bought some of these already, but have trouble finding room in the amp. The only test will be to measure ripple before and after.

If you look at the erse specs, they claim they are good to 500 or 600 watts. If that is sine, then that is effectively about 350 or 420 DC watts of heating load. I've got around 40 volts DC at 5 amps.... I will give it a shot.

I bought some of these already, but have trouble finding room in the amp. The only test will be to measure ripple before and after.

Where did you get yours? Also what is the P/N if you don't mind.I'd like to take a look at them.Thanks.

Quote from another DIY member in another CLC thread "Originally posted by steenoe

A CLC supply is very fast and responsive and the sound is just about the best that can be had!!

Steen"

That quote was dittoed by another member so I think i'm going to bite the bullet and go ahead with the Hammonds.I'll let the thread know the outcome of my toils.

I think I used the 159z model on mine...

Joined 2005
Paid Member
I’m using the Erse coils in low end of the big JBL crossovers at the Diy Audio event, I like them there, ( air core in the mid range and top end).

but I know your asking about them in CLC power supplies.
After reading I’m now adding .47 ohms in series with the inductors in my power amp’s CLC filters to avoid resonance and ringing. So yes size them to not saturate but some series resistance is helpful.

Last edited:
I added C and L to a friend’s F5, and ripple went down from 50ish mV to around 3mV. Incredible top end, if the rest of your chain is up to it....

My aim is for below 5mV PS ripple in general.

Attachments

• 7DC589F1-0095-4858-9B9F-E69BD0299A97.jpeg
    7DC589F1-0095-4858-9B9F-E69BD0299A97.jpeg
    812.3 KB · Views: 1,080
Last edited: