Newbie help with F5

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone,

Newbie here trying to tackle to the F5. With ACA experience I thought I would take the plunge.

Different versions and lack of step by step guidance has slowed my progress considerably.

Working on the PCB now and was wondering if someone could give me the go-ahead. I know I still need a 15 k resistor for the led.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20190425_135735.jpg
    IMG_20190425_135735.jpg
    647.4 KB · Views: 562
Joined 2017
Paid Member
There is this updated guide to with new pics

Firstwatt F5 amplifier v3 - diyAudio Guides

I was in the same boat as you when I built mine. My only experience with anything was the ACA so the F5 was a big leap.

The confusing part for me was that all the guides had different information and different version of amplifier and PSU boards, so it was hard to figure out what was correct and what was out of date.

I personally used a combo of three guides. First the PDF one I think you referenced already. That had great instructions on the PSU and other things.

Second, the build guide on this forum by 6L6 - An illustrated guide to building an F5

Then the link I provided above.

The PDF guide had really good instructions on the biasing process, at least the best that I could understand, but it said to turn the adjustment pots one way to set resistance but that was the wrong way so I almost fried my amp.

Use a bulb test for sure, it saved me from certain destruction twice.

Last edited:
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The PDF guide had really good instructions on the biasing process, at least the best that I could understand, but it said to turn the adjustment pots one way to set resistance but that was the wrong way so I almost fried my amp.

Use a bulb test for sure, it saved me from certain destruction twice.

Unfortunately going by direction is not fool proof since it also depends on
the orientation of the pot.

Instead, for the V3 schematics,
( see p2 of http://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/art_f5_turbo.pdf )

just turn P1 and P2 so that the measured resistance
across R5 and R6 are close to zero.

Thanks Mr Shaz. Yes I’m in the boat and concur.

Using the pdf guide you linked, authored by 6L6, as it is the most clean and concise, also using the current pcb boards offered by the DIYAstore.

Wanted to follow the thread you and Colin referred to but alas, off the bat, had an older pcb.

So, Mr Shaz, sounds like I am good to go with your first link ( pcbs and ups) until I get to some point to point wiring where the illustrated guide help as well.

Zen mod - hit your link and never saw that page before. Picking up some interesting things there....

Am I building the F5 version 3?

Thanks again for everyone’s great advice and info!

Last edited:
Update. Boards completed. Only question was which direction to mount LEDs, particularly on the PCB for UPS. Please chime in if you see anything faulty or questionable . Thanks

Attachments

• 5752.jpeg
    5752.jpeg
    227.9 KB · Views: 260
  • 5756.jpeg
    5756.jpeg
    211.4 KB · Views: 271
  • 5754.jpeg
    5754.jpeg
    225.4 KB · Views: 269
  • 5751.jpeg
    5751.jpeg
    231.5 KB · Views: 350
Joined 2017
Paid Member
You have the black and red wires on the right side in different holes than the picture in the guide. I'm smart enough to know they are in different holes, but not smart enough to know if it will still work or not the way you did it.

Attachments

• board.JPG
    board.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 100
Thanks for the thread cue. Great idea to thread the leads in with the connect crimp, maybe solder after for insurance.

Glad the other holes will still work, hate to redo it

Was hoping not to proceed with the bulb testing. Have no idea how to set that up ... Sounds like another project?

Thanks again for the valuable input 👍😊

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.