Newbie help with F5

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2017
Paid Member
The bulb tester is pretty easy. I just used this picture as a guide. I bought a bulb socket holder thingy from home depot and cut open a power cord and wired it up. A power cord has the three wires in it so when you cut it open wire the live wire into the bulb then out. I can take a photo of it later and post it to show how easy it is.

It saved me once from frying my amp and I've used it multiple times since.

Attachments

• bulb.JPG
    bulb.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 227
Joined 2003
Paid Member
If you think this will not be your last amp project, (and it rarely is) you might want to invest in a variac. I found it quite valuable. Searching around, one can be found for very reasonable money.

Basically like a "throttle" for the voltage, it allows you to slowly ramp up the voltage. With a meter on the bias, no problem with burning them up if pot is open. Once the bias begin to build, you can dial it back, re adjust offset, increase voltage and so on until you get the bias you want to let it cook for a while.

In the mean time, the slow turning up of the voltage, combined with keeping an eye on other components starting to show problems or beginning to smoke of discolor....

A light bulb tester can be useful for preventing major catastrophe on first fire up of course. I find that if I build power supply first, and it measures right, I personally am ready to proceed with variac and fire up.

If something is wrong on the board, usually the voltages are not correct in the early part of fire up, and you stop, look it over, post pics here, whatever it takes to find the error. Typical errors I've made are incorrect value of resistor, small similar jfets mixed up, other small transistor in wrong place. I usually build symmetrically, so I will USUALLY have same problem on both sides.

Didnt save me on my third BA3 FE build, where I was a bit tired and over enthusiastic in that it was the third one. A power supply, which measured perfectly itself, was miss wired to the board and I dialed up to quick, voltages all wrong and I cooked the small mosfets on the FE board. Inexpensive mistake that the bulb tester probably would have caught, or maybe if I had dialed up the variac slower?

All this said, the F5 was my first Pass build and the see saw notion of adjusting the two pots during fireup was confusing for me. I found Aleph J easier by far, and M2 even more so. BA3 power amp is similar to F5 in fire up.

Works for me, just a thought.

Russellc

Last edited:
Not entirely sure about the wiring to the vishay blocks but it seems to emulate the F5 build thread although different wire colors.

Not sure what to do with the purple wire- maybe chassis ground?

1/2 way on the terminal block ...

The terminal connects in the last photo on the PCB near the star ground - what connections do these accept - perhaps the bullet connects I have in an assorted Box?

Thanks again for the info on the bulb tester. I guess I have time to explore these possible routes:)

Attachments

• IMG_20190511_144946.jpg
    IMG_20190511_144946.jpg
    611.7 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_20190511_145054.jpg
    IMG_20190511_145054.jpg
    651.9 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_20190511_145150.jpg
    IMG_20190511_145150.jpg
    687.6 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_20190511_145242.jpg
    IMG_20190511_145242.jpg
    485.6 KB · Views: 87
Joined 2003
Paid Member
That was some unfinished work, sorry :eek:

How would you apply insulation after things are soldered?

If you mean to thermistor legs, easy. Unscrew the orings loose, slide over oring end, apply heat and reattach. Use the smallest heatshrink that will fit over o ring. You can cheat a little by temporarily expanding the heatsshrink by inserting needle nose pliers in and stretching a bit.

Or, use electrical tape. Better yet, since you left plenty of length on legs, cut off oring and re do them.

Russellc

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I'm using silicone isolation for NTC legs ; if you don't have any , go to local store , buy some 1.5 to 2.5sqmm wire with silicone isolation , and take what you need .....

PL is usually mounting them with bare legs , but they're on pcb and well away from anything , so even bent they can't touch anything critical

The store guide photo in f5v3 is a little busy here at the terminal blocks of the ups pcb. Can someone post a simplified diagram for dummies please?

Eventhough my legs are covered now, I am curious: what or who is PL?

Thanks again :)

Attachments

• 20190517_152852.jpg
    20190517_152852.jpg
    886.4 KB · Views: 190
Now for the hardest part: firing it up. All 4 pots were zeroed on the multimeter. With W502 facing me right side up, it was full clockwise.

Where can I find power up and bias directions for a newbie using a cheap variac.

What should be done with this purple wire?

Please notice the flux capacitor in place. Now if I could only find a Delorean ;) I

Attachments

• 5793.jpeg
    5793.jpeg
    802.1 KB · Views: 73
  • 5794.jpeg
    5794.jpeg
    797.6 KB · Views: 59

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Purple wire to chassis ground.

Use a bulb tester, not a variac. The bulb tester will save you from almost all faults automatically, where the variac needs a much deeper understanding of what’s going on and what to look for and how.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.