Pairing of store jfet DIYAUDIO

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
I just got some Jfets from the DIYAUDIO store that was supposed to be paired but when I tested them I noticed a very big difference between the two.I bought a few months ago on the bay a pair a punkydawgs recommended by Nelson and it was really identical.
Are the Diyaudio store pair really well matched? I’m really disappointed

Attachments

• 2sj74.png
    2sj74.png
    119.1 KB · Views: 478
  • 2sk170.png
    2sk170.png
    128.9 KB · Views: 471
  • Sans titre1.png
    Sans titre1.png
    172.2 KB · Views: 458
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I believe Store JFets are matched simply by Idss at fixed Uds

even if slightly dependable of their role /sort of circuit where you're going to use them , I wouldn't loose my sleep over difference I see in your graph , if they're matched by Idss

edit: what I wrote applies for same sex one - exact matching by Idss

for N against P matching ...... it really depends what I want to achieve and where I'm going to use them ..... but there I'm having even more relaxed criteria

for instance - F5 - you'll never same conditions of work for N and P Jfets , considering that needed voltage sag across drain resistors must be different , due to different treshold (biasing ) voltages of N and P mosfets

absolute symmetry is overrated :clown:

Last edited:
I believe Store JFets are matched simply by Idss at fixed Uds

even if slightly dependable of their role /sort of circuit where you're going to use them , I wouldn't loose my sleep over difference I see in your graph , if they're matched by Idss

edit: what I wrote applies for same sex one - exact matching by Idss

for N against P matching ...... it really depends what I want to achieve and where I'm going to use them ..... but there I'm having even more relaxed criteria

for instance - F5 - you'll never same conditions of work for N and P Jfets , considering that needed voltage sag across drain resistors must be different , due to different treshold (biasing ) voltages of N and P mosfets

absolute symmetry is overrated :clown:

Yes but this is really disappointing when have expected a pair close enough. This is for an F5T V2 .
Here are the graphs of those bought a punkydawgs on Ebay it’s already much better , I think use this especially that have bought them around the same price

Attachments

• 2sj74.png
    2sj74.png
    127.5 KB · Views: 455
  • 2sk170.png
    2sk170.png
    129.3 KB · Views: 449
  • Sans titre.png
    Sans titre.png
    163.2 KB · Views: 132
Having curved traced hundreds of transistors, I can tell you that N and P parts for both JFETs and BJTs behave differently even if you match gain at some Vds or Vce at some Id or Ic.

Try plotting the gain curves. For JFETs, plot Id vs Vgs. For a BJT, the curve is Ic vs Ib. After plotting those curves, you calculate the derivative of these curves (gain) and plot that derivative vs Ic or Id.

Even when gain is matched for an N/P pair at a particular voltage and bias current, I have seen that the way in which the gain changes with current is different for the N than it is for the P.

It appears that you like the Toshiba parts more than you like the Linear Systems parts. Vote with your wallet.

on higher voltages they're asymptotic closer and closer

so , you're using them on which voltage ?

just chill ....... even 1mA of difference between N and P will not spoil your sleep

take care to use P3 in construction and to set THD by your liking and that's it

I used it in cascode as in the 6L6 guide. So with a transfo of 2x25v I should have rails of about 32v and 32/ (10k +4.75k) * 4.75k = 10.30 v.
So they should be used in the 10.3v.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
At $20 each or so, Punkydawgs does a fine job.

However it is unrealistic to expect complete matching between P and N,
which is why there are three pots to adjust bias, offset, and harmonic
structure on the F5.

Even if you have perfectly symmetric Jfets, good luck finding power Mosfets
with comparable matching.

I recommend 1 mA matching on these parts, and I don't see much point
in paying for better in this application.

BTW, 1 mA is the standard for matching in the store if you are buying
the matched parts. Apparently one customer was disappointed when
buying unmatched parts and found that they were a bit outside this
standard.

There has been some discussion about offering a 0.1 mA at extra
expense. I imagine they will sell like hot cakes.

:p

At $20 each or so, Punkydawgs does a fine job.

However it is unrealistic to expect complete matching between P and N,
which is why there are three pots to adjust bias, offset, and harmonic
structure on the F5.

Even if you have perfectly symmetric Jfets, good luck finding power Mosfets
with comparable matching.

I recommend 1 mA matching on these parts, and I don't see much point
in paying for better in this application.

BTW, 1 mA is the standard for matching in the store if you are buying
the matched parts. Apparently one customer was disappointed when
buying unmatched parts and found that they were a bit outside this
standard.

There has been some discussion about offering a 0.1 mA at extra
expense. I imagine they will sell like hot cakes.

:p

Thanks Nelson , yes but with a deviation as much I do not call it an pairing especially the Idss of the LSk170 are 5,14 and 5,23 well below the 6ma that may not be a problem but still.There are also gaps of more than 1ma on the curves. It is true that Punkydawgs does excellent work because they are very well matched

Joined 2002
Paid Member
For the B grade, the Idss should be between 6 and 12 mA, and
is based on current value with Vgs=0 and Vds=10.

When I look at the 2sk170 Vgs=0 blue curve near the top of the graph in your first post
and extrapolate to Vds=10, it looks possible the curve will make it over 6mA.

I still think that I will use the pair that I got on ebay in Punkydawgs and that those from the store will stay in their box!Because I’m pretty thorough and it’s really going to bother me to have such a gap. I still have the memory that in the French magazine Jean Hiraga explained that it was necessary a very demanding pairing of transistors and that it was important

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Hi Uchu! The store is only interested in your total satisfaction.

You have now heard what is required for your project. As Dennis said you should absolutely use the parts that give you maximum enjoyment and let you sleep well at night.

However in this case it does look like some more testing needs to be done. Mistakes can happen and if these are actually outside of the standard we'll of course make things right. Please get in touch at contact@diyaudiostore.com so we can take care of you.

Hi Uchu! The store is only interested in your total satisfaction.

You have now heard what is required for your project. As Dennis said you should absolutely use the parts that give you maximum enjoyment and let you sleep well at night.

However in this case it does look like some more testing needs to be done. Mistakes can happen and if these are actually outside of the standard we'll of course make things right. Please get in touch at contact@diyaudiostore.com so we can take care of you.

Hello Jason,
I already contacted you by email. I mounted the pair I had on the bay because the ones in the awning are not close enough for me.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.