Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

F4 amplifier into 12 ohm load...observations..
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th February 2019, 12:02 PM   #1
Manolo47 is offline Manolo47  Puerto Rico
diyAudio Member

Default F4 amplifier into 12 ohm load...observations..

The scenario is this: Factory built F4 that drove a pair of Spatial Audio's M4 with a 4 ohm impedance, either full range or from 80-100 hz up if subwoofer used.
Sound- well, spectacular.
Now I have the same speakers but the Triode Master model. Impedance is 12 ohms and xovr has better quality parts. Output is dipolar full range though they have a back firing tweeter.
So, I guess the F4 will output less power with the higher impedance, is this correct? Anyway, sound-"more spectacular".
Soundstage is broader from side to side and from front to back. I am also certain the F4 does not get as hot and it sounds more "effortlessly" and smoother.

This Triode Master option was developed mainly for set amplifiers which prefer a higher input inpedance load, but it is obvious to me that a SS amplifier is benefited by this, at least my F4, though it is not a "normal" amplifier.
Old 25th February 2019, 12:55 PM   #2
Dennis Hui is offline Dennis Hui  Canada
Hoopy Frood
diyAudio Member

The power into 12 ohms will be less, in the 16W range (as compared to 25W into
8 ohms). This limit comes from the rail voltage of the F4.

F4 amplifier into 12 ohm load...observations..Hide this!Advertise here!