F5 class AB mode?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Recently I start to think about building a F5. I built a couple of NP designs already like the the PLH, Zen with Aleph CCS etc. I do think I need more wattage in my new setup but I do not want to run into huge Class A projects. I believe F5 as having a push-pull output stage should work pretty OK into Class AB mode. My current thought is to bias F5 to 0.25A but having a supply voltage of about 40V. So it should work under Class A till 1W and then enters into Class AB and go upto 60-70W for 8 Ohm. Anyone already try something similar?

Recently I start to think about building a F5. I built a couple of NP designs already like the the PLH, Zen with Aleph CCS etc. I do think I need more wattage in my new setup but I do not want to run into huge Class A projects. I believe F5 as having a push-pull output stage should work pretty OK into Class AB mode. My current thought is to bias F5 to 0.25A but having a supply voltage of about 40V. So it should work under Class A till 1W and then enters into Class AB and go upto 60-70W for 8 Ohm. Anyone already try something similar?

F5 is not optimal for an AB amp. There are many many AB amp designs you can choose from, better to start with optimal AB amp design if that is your end goal. For a simple but good sounding design with an output that is a relative of the F5 go look up the "P3a" amplifier.

F5 is not optimal for an AB amp. There are many many AB amp designs you can choose from, better to start with optimal AB amp design if that is your end goal. For a simple but good sounding design with an output that is a relative of the F5 go look up the "P3a" amplifier.
I certainly agree with you, if I start from blank. I do like Class A but I am however bounded by the components on hand. My transformer give 40V instead of 24V, the heatsinks can handle upto about 80W dissipation (20W per device). Hence I am thinking of trimming down the bias of the output MOSFET to stay within the boundaries. It should still be a "heavy" Class AB as I can go upto 400-500mA in principle. Certainly I am still looking at other alternatives.

Thanks Zen Mod

Does this imply you can hear the difference between a switching mosfet and one that’s not switching ;)

That comes to the issue of a particular signature associated with the amplifying device. So we can say mosfet signature , tube signature, nutube signature, bipolar signature , jfet signature, SIT signature etc

Would you say mosfets sound good only with class A operation or when switched at frequencies outside the audio range such as in class D ? Have you ever fancied any class AB amplifier with mosfet outputs ? Have you build any of these 2DIFFET amplifier , POC amplifier , SF Amplifier ? Note the last two are not fully tested but were designed for experimentation.

Would you say the forte of class AB is the BJT? which happens to be risky in class A due to heat.

What would you say about SITs ?

I believe people tried

I tried it years ago , but difference (to full A class ) was too much for my liking

of course - if you're satisfied , who can argue ?

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Thanks Zen Mod

Does this imply you can hear the difference between a switching mosfet and one that’s not switching ;)

That comes to the issue of a particular signature associated with the amplifying device. So we can say mosfet signature , tube signature, nutube signature, bipolar signature , jfet signature, SIT signature etc

Would you say mosfets sound good only with class A operation or when switched at frequencies outside the audio range such as in class D ? Have you ever fancied any class AB amplifier with mosfet outputs ? Have you build any of these 2DIFFET amplifier , POC amplifier , SF Amplifier ? Note the last two are not fully tested but were designed for experimentation.

Would you say the forte of class AB is the BJT? which happens to be risky in class A due to heat.

What would you say about SITs ?

old farts don't think too much

:)

just one thing - THD spectra is main thing which is differentiating amplifiers

besides that - good amp is good amp ...... you can make one from snails , if you are able ..... and it'll be good as any other good one

Reactions: 1 user
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.