M2 inspired balanced output preamp idea

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello woofertester,

I have used those bufferboards mentioned in the beginning of this thread
to buffer the outputs of one of my active crossover projects (based on OPAmps). It behaved very well. But I wasn't measuring it. Only listening. Was a few months
ago.

But at the moment this project is sleeping. I made an PASS AXO and a M2X
inbetween......

Greets
Dirk

Nice crossover setup you created. The buffer boards measure well and they they can handle power amp rail voltages. For the price, they are a bargain. The only downside is the 470 ohm output impedance compared to a high gm toshiba jfet.

For many line level applications, they are adequate.

I have only scratched the surface on the subject, but it seems common knowledge that a phase inverted secondary is somewhat worse compared to in phase. As an example, Lundahl LL1660s employs a "internal Faraday shields to improve balance in phase splitting interstage applications" compared to the LL1660 which is the regular interstage/line output. Here in Papaland, you'd probably get way more from ZM, people used to call him Choky, or talk to tube forum guys deep into iron if you need technical details like 45, Bud Purvine and Wavebourn.

This turns out to be an excellent point early in the thread.

I was able to set up this measurement and take it.

At 100 Hz, the amplitude difference between halves of the secondary is about 1%. At 20 kHz, the difference is 12% to 13% depending on which flavor of transformer you look at. I tested two different flavors, 600-15K and 150-10k.

The freq roll off is different between halves of the secondary.

These transformers are probably not a good phase splitter just as you predicted.

it may be possible to satisfactorily balance the secondaries with a network but that time would probably be better spent on an active solution.

Thanks for the tip.

There is still one more trick you can try. A floating CT. Disconnect the ct of the secondary (pin 6) from ground and let it float. You may have better balance between halves of the secondary.

That helps improve balance by 1% percent. It is interesting that moving the signal generator ground makes a large difference. One way the halves are 2X different. The other orientation there is an 11% difference between halves.

... These transformers are probably not a good phase splitter just as you predicted.

it may be possible to satisfactorily balance the secondaries with a network but that time would probably be better spent on an active solution. ...
Then a buffered transformer voltage gain like the M2 with an active splitter output should be reasonably good. Ready for round 2? See if you like it. :)

Attachments

• Splitter.gif
    Splitter.gif
    16.4 KB · Views: 201
  • Splitter.asc
    7.2 KB · Views: 62
Try the sim and see for yourself. :)

You can even discard both M3 and the transformer by connecting input directly to R1. Try different ratio of R10&R11 to R9 to adjust gain of the splitter. However, I believe you would find that a transformer voltage gain has a certain virtue not available elsewhere.

Small correction, Out+ and Out- were mistakenly interchanged.

Noted. I will make some changes and see how it works.

I agree that part of the M2 signature must be the transformer. My thought initially was that the transformer could be a good phase splitter for a preamp. Your prediction that the windings would not be symmetric turned out to be exactly on point.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the work you did.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
xformers can be Divine phase splitters ..... even if goal is perfect symmetry , but you must use those made for purpose

though , in this world where sound is of utmost importance , some asymmetry can be good

myriad examples around , where spoiling perfect symmetry is one of the tasks ...... PL amps of recent times may be bridged , but Papa did plenty of work to alter perfect symmetry in proper and controlled way

XS amps being most extreme example , in more than one way

xformers can be Divine phase splitters ..... even if goal is perfect symmetry , but you must use those made for purpose

though , in this world where sound is of utmost importance , some asymmetry can be good

myriad examples around , where spoiling perfect symmetry is one of the tasks ...... PL amps of recent times may be bridged , but Papa did plenty of work to alter perfect symmetry in proper and controlled way

XS amps being most extreme example , in more than one way

If I get your message, you would recommend building it as a phase splitter and listen to how it sounds rather than be overly concerned about how it measures.

... “This one is really musical, and that one is not very good.”

Well, that's another data point – a transformer that measures better loses to one that does not. ...
Remember? Check and listen to it just to be sure, a 12% imbalace may still sound good. But I'd test the active splitter first.
In case you have not noticed, you have the option to feed the splitter by connecting R1 to the transformer output of a running M2 or M2X (pin 7 of the Edcor).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.