Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Diy Monoblock SIT/VFET
Diy Monoblock SIT/VFET
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th February 2019, 11:10 PM   #11
sontero is offline sontero  Italy
diyAudio Member

I join Dennis Hui
Build the ZenMod SissySit. It's a wonder.
I can say this after many happy experiences with tube amp construction (with output transformers and OTLs).
I've never loved an amp like the SissySIT ..... can it be enough?

hui
Old 8th February 2019, 11:38 PM   #12
cjfrbw is offline cjfrbw  United States
diyAudio Member

Although people talk about the unavailability of VFET/SIT, there are always Sony TA 4650 amps in operating condition being offered on ebay. These use a single push pull class AB VFET pair and sound great, and they have preamp output/power amp inputs. They sell pretty cheap because nobody seems to appreciate them for some reason. Refurb the caps, input card and power supply cards, and replace the death diodes, and you have a 30 watt VFET amp that sounds fantastic with a bonus preamp and headphone amp, to boot.

I have a couple if 4650, one of which only the preamp works and one in which only the amp works. I suppose someday I will study the chassis to see if a Pass DIY could be put in there if I can ever improve or upgrade my DIY skills to suit. That would be pretty cool to have a Pass DIY or clone VFET in a 4650 chassis. I have heat sinks from a torn down 8650 that bit the dust on many levels.

I also have a couple of pairs of Sony VFETs in working condition, although I don't know how 'good' they are, they are from the earlier generations of Sony VFET amps. It seems most of the PASS DIY use a later generation.

Also, using directly heated triode driver stages (or perhaps Pass DIY Korg B1, don't know, haven't built mine yet) winds up being pretty close to 'the best of both worlds'. I have DHT driver on my midrange ribbon with Sony VFET 8550, Pass DIY clone VFET, and First Watt M2 in rotation. Amazing sound, but the 4650 (non refurb, only death diodes replaced) is not far from the same quality and would be a reasonably priced starting point for somebody who wants to hear what VFET is like.

Last edited by cjfrbw; 8th February 2019 at 11:44 PM.
Old 11th February 2019, 08:27 PM   #13
Itsmee is offline Itsmee  England
diyAudio Member

Diy Monoblock SIT/VFET
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson Pass View Post
I plan to use the same bracket size as in the DIY Sony VFET pt 2, which
is 10" long, but this one holds 4 TO-3 devices...
Will they be available in the store?
Old 11th February 2019, 09:10 PM   #14
Nelson Pass is offline Nelson Pass  United States
The one and only

Diy Monoblock SIT/VFET
Yes.
Old 11th February 2019, 09:16 PM   #15
Itsmee is offline Itsmee  England
diyAudio Member

Diy Monoblock SIT/VFET
Thank you
Old 21st February 2019, 11:09 PM   #16
AHall1 is offline AHall1
diyAudio Member

Is there a parts list and schematic for this amp design? Maybe a place to start sourcing parts while we wait for the final piece to be released?

Diy Monoblock SIT/VFETHide this!Advertise here!