Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Balanced Zen Line Stage Preamp
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th February 2019, 09:26 PM   #1
elwood625 is offline elwood625  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Balanced Zen Line Stage Preamp

This is a new thread for the Balanced Zen Line Stage Preamp. This discussion started at Which Preamp for Amp Camp Amp.
Old 4th February 2019, 09:34 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Here are the Gerber files for the PC Boards, already made PC boards are available at the SWAP section under Balanced Zen Line Stage PC boards.
Attached Files
File Type: zip PL45A.ZIP (29.8 KB, 61 views)
File Type: zip PL45B.ZIP (24.6 KB, 31 views)
Old 5th February 2019, 04:11 PM   #3
jfuquay is offline jfuquay  United States
diyAudio Member

Here's a wiring diagram another member sent to me. I found it very helpful despite the labels in Korean. It departs from the ZBLS specs by using one four-gang pot instead of two two-gang pots to control input and output levels, as well as just one transformer for the power supply. But it includes balanced and unbalanced inputs and outputs so that's a big help as wiring goes.
Attached Images
File Type: gif BOSOZ wiring guide.gif (266.2 KB, 668 views)
Old 5th February 2019, 09:40 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

That is nice, the diagram isn't using an XLR and RCA in parallel, just separate XLR and RCA inputs.
I sent out my rear panel and the front panels for the power supply and line stage to Front Panel Express. I used their software for templates on my panels. I was debating if I was going to drill the back panel or have it CNC machined, once I saw how much a 24 mm drill bit was, well it was a no brainer. They are engraving and using a black fill for the front panels, not a bad cost at all. CNC machining was only $20 more than the drill bit I would need for the XLR connectors.
Old 6th February 2019, 04:12 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Those are big holes, aren't they, even if the back panel is only 3mm thick aluminum. I was thinking of getting a cheap HSS step drill just for the biggest holes and hoping to get enough punches to finish my back panel. Think I can handle the front panel with my existing bits if I can keep the power switch a small diameter. Now the engraving or printing on the front panel is another matter.
Old 6th February 2019, 10:42 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I used the Front Panel software for a 12AX7 phono section I'm building, you can print out the template you make and then cut it out and tape it to the panel. It will even print a crosshair center point for each hole. Macro items include XLR, switches all you need to insert into the template. The software is free, download it from their website. Any help for drilling holes in a straight line I'm all for.
Old 7th February 2019, 12:07 AM   #7
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

skip the engraving, buy guitar knobs that are already labelled 'tone' and 'volume' - job done!
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 7th February 2019, 03:09 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Elwood625, a quick question: Did you install C107 on the power supply? I bought a through-hole part and don’t see a handy way to install it across the hot and neutral leads as in the schematic. I’m thinking maybe there’s a terminal-style version for this that I can attach to my perforated base plate.
Old 7th February 2019, 03:26 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I installed mine on a 4 pin terminal strip where the transformer wires are attached. Because I built a dual power supply, I used four transformers and needed a way to connect all the wires. I ended up using two C107, one for each pair of transformers. You could install it between the IEC terminal pins hot and neutral. I used a through-hole version also.
Old 7th February 2019, 03:51 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Great. I was thinking the IEC pins were a good solid spot and seemed as good a place as any in the circuit. I’ll slip some insulation from small gauge wire over the leads. As The Man himself advises: “Safety first. There are too few DIYers as it is.” (Or words to that effect.)

Balanced Zen Line Stage PreampHide this!Advertise here!