Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Need Opinion: Comparative Sound of Pass Cap-Coupled (Zen) vs. Direct-Coupled Designs
Need Opinion: Comparative Sound of Pass Cap-Coupled (Zen) vs. Direct-Coupled Designs
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st January 2019, 05:47 PM   #11
Nelson Pass is offline Nelson Pass  United States
The one and only

I think it's more likely that you will build another amp.

And then another.....

Old 21st January 2019, 06:39 PM   #12
mpmarino is offline mpmarino  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson Pass View Post
I think it's more likely that you will build another amp.

And then another.....

...as if you know anything about these things.

Old 21st January 2019, 07:27 PM   #13
MEPER is offline MEPER  Denmark
diyAudio Member

How much of a percentage do you think these three components are responsible for in terms of sound quality?

Speakers
Room
Amplifier

I will say:

I will say that the room has more influence on the sound than the amplifier (if we are talking quality components). Often money are better spent on damping the room etc. than building a new amp. But building amps are more fun……..maybe room has to go higher in percentage.
Old 21st January 2019, 08:11 PM   #14
DougL is offline DougL  United States
diyAudio Member

If I recall correctly, the Zen 9 was re-released as the FirstWatt F3.

here is a link to one of the reviews.

6moons audio reviews: FirstWatt F3

Its an amazing amp. So are several of the others. So many choices.
Old 21st January 2019, 08:28 PM   #15
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEPER View Post
How much of a percentage do you think these three components are responsible for in terms of sound quality?

Speakers
Room
Amplifier

I will say:

I will say that the room has more influence on the sound than the amplifier (if we are talking quality components). Often money are better spent on damping the room etc. than building a new amp. But building amps are more fun……..maybe room has to go higher in percentage.
insisting on precision , while generalizing ........ easiest way to say nothing

better to have fun all the time , just generalizing .......

Old 21st January 2019, 08:29 PM   #16
Nelson Pass is offline Nelson Pass  United States
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougL View Post
If I recall correctly, the Zen 9 was re-released as the FirstWatt F3.
F3 dates to July 2005, and the ZV9 was dated Feb 2006.

Old 21st January 2019, 08:32 PM   #17
DougL is offline DougL  United States
diyAudio Member

LOL

What's a few months among friends?
Old 21st January 2019, 08:44 PM   #18
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

3 is less than 9

Old 22nd January 2019, 01:25 AM   #19
Diogenio is offline Diogenio  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson Pass View Post
F3 dates to July 2005, and the ZV9 was dated Feb 2006.

Hi Nelson, nice to have you join my thread.

I'm well aware that you are not one to characterize or rank the "sound" of various amplifiers ala' the audiophile press, so I'd never ask you to do so.

In light of the 12+ years that have passed since the ZV9 circuit debut, I'm just trying to establish if my precious time would be better spent building one of the later Pass DIY circuits, for reasons of subjective quality having significantly improved in the newer circuits? Seems a lot of DIY builders vote for the M2.

Any guidance?
Old 22nd January 2019, 03:54 AM   #20
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

You are asking this group to tell you what to build.

We are notoriously good at avoiding that. Because of a million reasons, but the strongest being if you build it yourself, you'll know and have something to compare it too.

A real Class-A amplifier will have a power, sound, poise and grace unlike anything else, if you've never had one, they are all incredible when compared to anything Class-AB.

Since you have parts for the ZV9 already, get the rest and build it, you will be rewarded with a fantastic amplifier. It's also single-ended, which have a certain magic that push-pull don't.

Also you note a few times in this thread your fear of coupling caps. Here's the best information I've ever seen concerning that - SYclotron Audio | Why are people obsessed with coupling caps?

As for comparing/contrasting the sound of different Pass amps, it's akin to standing in a garage full of Ferraris and asking, "Which is the most Italian sports car?" You can't make a bad choice, and they all sound fantastic.

Last edited by 6L6; 22nd January 2019 at 04:18 AM.

Need Opinion: Comparative Sound of Pass Cap-Coupled (Zen) vs. Direct-Coupled DesignsHide this!Advertise here!