Hello Vfet V-fet people!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What are these (photo) worth?

Thanks Doug

Attachments

• C8FAB95D-DB66-4FD6-9F26-3815213FE0DA.jpg
    C8FAB95D-DB66-4FD6-9F26-3815213FE0DA.jpg
    714.3 KB · Views: 534
Even an original 3055 in TO-3 is a bit expensive today:
ORIGINAL MOTOROLA 2N3055 BEST QUALITY TO3 POWER AMPLIFIER TRANSISTOR ad1x23 | eBay
I had a DIY integrated amp using these and the 2955 as output device.....many years ago. I remember that "high-end" people did not like 3055.....but the amp did play some nice music!

A couple of years back I bought in a 1980's Maplin 225WRMS amplifier which was missing output transistors 2N3055 and MJ2955.
So I bought some in and the amp oscillated quite badly.
I had to increase the VAS capacitor to stop the oscillation.
I can only guess the new transistors had higher gain and/or wider bandwidth.
maplinampsold | harrabylad | Flickr

Some (many) years back I built some Quad 405 power amps based on a cloned PCB. It also had some TO-3 housed output transistors (can't remember what it was) but at least one of the amps oscillated and it sounded very bad. At that time I knew an experienced "analog" electrical engineer. He solved the problem by putting a ferrite pearl on the base of the output transistors and everything was perfect. Then I did this on all the output devices just to be sure. I guess the ferrite pearl reduced the bandwidth a bit so phase margin came on the "good side". Apart from that it was a good sounding amp. It remember it had an opamp as input device.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.