Alternate First Watt Power Supply Schematic

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Boards are in - way faster turn around than expected. 4 left up for grabs. PM me if interested. I'll PM those who have some reserved to finalize details.

Attachments

• IMG_0157.jpg
    IMG_0157.jpg
    699.4 KB · Views: 754
Last edited:
Joined 2000
Paid Member
After that.. imo.. subtle improvements no longer register in human brains.

Well, sound change might not be what some might be expecting, but some channel separation is better than none.
There could be a improvement in sound reproduction that some people are not even interested in, like sound stage improvements.
Tonally, there may be no change. :)
I have two simulated F7s, so it's easy for me to test. ;)

Indeed, this board is designed to need only one.

However, if you did want to use two, you can:
1) delete R3, R4, R10 and R11
2) change R1, R2, R5, R6, R8, R9, R12 and R13 from 0R33 to 0R47
3) solder a jumper between the lower holes of R3 and R4, and one between the lower holes of R7 and R8

attachment.php

Use as large a wire as you can fit for the jumpers.

Cheers,
Jeff.

Attachments

• convert_to_mono.jpg
    convert_to_mono.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 1,317
@vdi-nenna, it doesn't really. Higher resistance will give you more ripple rejection at a lower voltage; lower resistance less rejection but higher voltage. The difference between these two values though is probably in the weeds; I mention it mainly for those who want to stay close to Nelson's original design....

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Also, the creator of the Quasimodo wrote an article for linearaudio, and you can just buy and download the pdf there and be happy with all that information. I did it and it's better than all the articles I could find, including the ones you mentioned.

Thanks for the kind words, and sorry I'm late to this party.

The 20+ page Quasimodo design note is a free .pdf download here on diyAudio, it's attached to post #1 of the Quasimodo thread. The Linear Audio magazine article is not free, but you don't have to buy the whole "book"; they'll happily sell you just that one article as a download file:

edit- here is one photo from the article, plus a couple explanations that I added onto the picture just now (in white)

~

Attachments

• Twelve_Amp.png
    Twelve_Amp.png
    39.6 KB · Views: 444
Last edited: