Any problems with the "Aleph" (5, to be specific) architecture ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I'm trying to understand how the whole stuff works.
Sorry about that, but to do that I'm using a simulator (less danger and less smoke).
Let's have a look on the original Pass design for "Aleph 5": http://www.kk-pcb.com/a5serv.pdf that I have reproduced this way:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

My question is threefold and always related to the C5 capacitor.
  1. My simulations says that the input impedance on the XLR+ and XLR- is very different: 14.7kOhm and 5.3kOhm, respectively. Is this a "fake" result or it's real? and, if it's real, does it have any consequence on the SQ?
  2. If I replace C5 by an appropriate resistance I can get the two impedance's identical. For sure I have to recheck the OFFFSET and, to get the original gain, I need to raise the NFB resistance R7.
  3. The "Aleph" architecture is said to be "capacitor free": is anybody worried by the presence of C5 on the XLR- line?
Thanks

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I believe I already pointed you to my Babelfish J thread , where you can see what worries me :)

anyway , Aleph series was , in general , very successful series of amps , primarily due to sound quality , exquisite craftsmanship and longevity ........ which means that many satisfied customers didn't had nothing to worry about

suddenly , there we are , Greedy Boyz and Grand Tweakers , having doubts about Papa's constructions :)

if you're worried with that capacitor - just short it ; but only after you make entire amp and prove with DBT that you're able to hear when it is in circuit

Last edited:
330px-Differential_amplifier_long-tailed_pair.svg.png

???

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I'm not following you there ..... each time I looked at LTP , it did what is expected to do ......

if you can't see it , it's something wrong with your understanding ...... or sim approach or whatever

I can't force you to understand , especially I can't explain better than it's explained in linked youtube video

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.