Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

How to choose VAS current
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th December 2018, 02:31 PM   #1
JeffYoung is offline JeffYoung  Ireland
diyAudio Member

Default How to choose VAS current

Say for something like the BA2: LTP input stage followed by single-ended VAS. How does one choose the current to give the VAS stage?
Old 4th December 2018, 03:51 PM   #2
Zen Mod is online now Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

there is adequate calculus , which includes input capacitances and input impedances .... taking rise time in account as main thing ..... but I used it so long ago , that I simply forgot it

always used rule of thumb in meantime , later resorted to thumb of rule ...... just crank it
Old 4th December 2018, 06:38 PM   #3
PRR is online now PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

Generally it wants much-more than the drive requirement of the Output stage (which you did not mention).
Old 4th December 2018, 07:29 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I'm looking for general guidelines.

But let's use this for an example to start with:

How to choose VAS current-ba-2ff-jpeg
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg BA-2FF.jpeg (146.4 KB, 386 views)
Old 4th December 2018, 07:31 PM   #5
Itsmee is offline Itsmee  England
diyAudio Member

Just look at Papas circuits (BA2 15mA, Sony Vfet 30mA), don't read too much tech stuff or... you'll see.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf an-937.pdf (251.1 KB, 38 views)
Old 4th December 2018, 08:15 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks for that link, Itsmee. Now I understand PRR's question, as it appears the answer has much more to do with what the VAS is driving than with the VAS itself.

The output stage in the example is a 4-pair BA2, which I think was one of its original incarnations (though the current one is 6-pairs). So the BA2 number is certainly relevant.

The article suggests I want as much current as possible to counteract the common source inductance and the Miller effect charging the capacitance of the gate. Is there a downside to supplying more current?
Old 4th December 2018, 08:27 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

No but everything is a compromise, you just have to pick and choose which ones you want.
Depends on how far you go, main one is heat, component dissipation, geting rid of it, powering it in the first place - bigger psu...
Old 4th December 2018, 08:41 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Sorry for jacking your thread...

This is a couple of ideas I've been kicking around for a while, haven't gotten round to trying them yet, it's in the queue - too many project, they might not work.

Preserving the jfet gain is a trade off in reduced drive, seems to me that the best way would be to use a current mirror; the first leg monitors the JFET current, the second leg replicates the first leg (no load to drag it down), legs A, B, C are copies (current multiplier). Only Q7 & Q8,A,B,C need to be mached.

If you look at the normal LTP, the feedback JFET is only used as a sorce follower, seems to be a bit of a waste; a unity gain non inverting opamp could do that, it's only going to see a volt or two.
It shouldn't change the sound too much.

EDIT think i need to flip opamp to inverting???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 J-Less.jpg (239.8 KB, 173 views)

Last edited by Itsmee; 4th December 2018 at 08:57 PM.
Old 4th December 2018, 09:47 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Can't you get the current mirror to multiply the current just by varying the resistance between the first leg and the second? Why do you need the other legs?

For what it's worth, I think the HPA-1 uses a current mirror in a similar fashion, only with a complementary (F5-ish) front-end and current mirrors on both sides. (It also uses an op-amp, but as a DC servo. The feedback mechanism is F5-ish.)
Old 4th December 2018, 10:07 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
Can't you get the current mirror to multiply the current...
Yes, most people do it that way, if you do, to me it's not a true mirror, the transistors aren't operating at the same point.

Quote:
...It also uses an op-amp, but as a DC servo...
Isn't that what the feedback jfet's job is? or did I misunderstand.

How to choose VAS currentHide this!Advertise here!