What would a Pass Labs lover choose for a car?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, I use stock audio (Blaupunkt) in my car. Speaking of that, audio system in my car is not very important. To me , it is much more important to have a car with a nice sounding engine/exaust. That is better than music. I drove such a car a few years ago. Unfortunately now I am stuck with clunky tractor-sounding, polluting diesel engine. Hope I will get back to a high-revving petrol car soon...

If it's any help, I drive Jill's Ford F250

Hi Nelson,

If driving was considered to be a form of entertainment, I would think you would be a fan of electric vehicles - you know, with their single-ended power supply and DC motor. There's just too much vibration from those push-pull type of engines and all the fiddly bits that convert linear reciprocal motion to driveshaft rotational motion :eek:

Cars and Amps - some similarities

I agree with Charlie - it has to be an EV.
I have both Pass Labs electronics and a Chevy Bolt.
I offer the following evidence to support my case:

The EV has a lower noise floor than any ICE based product.
There is a dramatic lack of harshness that is hard to describe but once you experience it nearly every other ICE based products seem crude by comparison.
It's basic character allows you to use it for long periods of time without feeling fatigued.

While not a Class A device, I had to install a dedicated 240V circuit running the way back to my main service panel in order to use it.
You turn it on by pushing a button and it draws about a kilowatt when it is just sitting there.

The low end acceleration is really fun - We all know the first few mph are the most important.
It has great dynamic headroom - normally 25-30 kW is all you need but I have seen 157 kW during short peaks.
It has a regen function so it is bi-directional topology (one could say it is a symmetric design )
The regen has a user adjustable bias control and based on my experience the high bias position works best.
It has far fewer components than the other designs, i.e. It has only one moving part in the power train and only one gear.
One could say it is a single full range transducer with no crossovers.

It runs on a nice clean DC supply.
At 380 Vdc the supply voltage is higher that the Pass Labs gear but it does use high current semiconductors in it's output stage.
Fundamentally it takes low voltage signals (0-5V) to create a high current output signal.
While you don't do it all the time if you crank up the output current it tends to put a smile on your face.

The final piece of evidence is not really necessary for operation but is the conclusive proof:
It has blue lights on the front panel :cool:

QED

Attachments

• valley-chevy-2017-chevrolet-bolt-interior-night-1024x369.png
    valley-chevy-2017-chevrolet-bolt-interior-night-1024x369.png
    537.2 KB · Views: 127
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.