Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

BA3: Complementary vs. Single Ended
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th November 2018, 03:42 PM   #21
sarscott is offline sarscott  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russellc View Post
Not the speaker end, that's just the amps output. You can have a single ended amp, or a push pull amp. This has nothing to do with whether or not amp is balanced.

If you have a balanced preamp, it is nice to have a balanced power amp to go with it. If you preamp isn't balanced there is still a way to use the unbalanced (single ended) preamp with the balanced power amp.

A single ended power amp, like a 300b tube amp, or an Aleph pass amp, has nothing to do with it being balanced or not.

To add to the confusion, one with a balance preamp might like to have a single ended output on it in order to use it with a power amp that isn't balanced.

Maybe read up on the BA3 power amp, study 6l6's build guide. Once you see it clearly, read up on the balanced BA3 (BBA3). Assuming both are "complementary" or push pull, the difference will be clear. The other "single ended" version of BA3 has nothing to do g to do with whether or not the amp is balanced or not.

Balanced amp and pre amp will not be connected together with RCA plugs, but 3 conductor plugs.

Look also at 6l6's Aleph J build guide. Here, we have a single ended out put Aleph amp, but you will notice he includes both RCA inputs and the 3 conductor inputs, while AlephJ isn't balanced, you can still use a balanced pre with it. Again, the fact that the Aleph J is single ended, (like a single ended 300b amp) has nothing to do with whether or not it is balanced, which it isn't.

Separate the terms single ended outputs, from push pull outputs in amplifiers, from whether or not the particular amp is balanced. Output here refers to the output stage, not whether or not the amp is balanced or not.

Russellc

Hey Russellc, Just reread your post, and this time it makes much more sense after having read a bunch more on the topic. Thanks.
Old 12th November 2018, 03:46 PM   #22
sarscott is offline sarscott  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russellc View Post
For F4, also consider Zenmods Pumpkin-Shunty pre amp. It can be used single ended or balanced and has plenty of drive for regular F4, or 2 balanced mono block F4 amps. Big build guide available. It is one of my many "almost done" projects.

Russellc

Awesome, will read up on the Pumpkin Shunty for sure. Know anything more about the empasse tube preamp that 6L6 mentioned in his F4 build guide? Thanks again for your help.
Old 13th November 2018, 06:09 AM   #23
aspringv is offline aspringv  Australia
diyAudio Member

OK, just to stretch a bit further...
H2 for adding the characteristics of a single ended design to a signal chain.
or
B1 with Korg Triode as a way of doing much the same!
Old 13th November 2018, 08:46 PM   #24
Russellc is online now Russellc  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarscott View Post
Awesome, will read up on the Pumpkin Shunty for sure. Know anything more about the empasse tube preamp that 6L6 mentioned in his F4 build guide? Thanks again for your help.
I know if 6L6 says it is good, then it is good! Not personally however. I used to be an all tube person, but Mr Pass has brought me over to the land of Jfet. Sold most all my tube stuff and collection of NOS tubes.

Russellc
Old 13th November 2018, 10:51 PM   #25
DougL is online now DougL  United States
diyAudio Member

Impass Preamp: ImPasse Preamplifier
Old 14th November 2018, 07:15 AM   #26
VonLoon is offline VonLoon
diyAudio Member

Default more novice questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsmee View Post
Maybe both - input and output.

BA3B pre - balanced input and balanced output, can be used as:
balanced input and balanced output
balanced input and unbalanced output
unbalanced input and balanced output
unbalanced input and unbalanced output (don't see the point of this, may as well use BA3 instead)
Thanks for all the responses, I'm in a similar situation as OP. Really interested in making balanced BA3 front end as I have a good DAC/preamp that only uses half its hardware via single ended output (NOS11).

1) I'm fairly sure each complementary bias/output board pair will only take half of the balanced signal, 2 output boards per channel, one for each polarity. Just like SE burning amp 1 or 3 output expect transistor orientation. please confirm.

Click the image to open in full size.

I need need 1 stereo amp, it might be possible to pack 4 total output boards in the shop's largest chassis if I set the bias low enough and/or reduced Fet count. less then ideal solution

2) how does ba3b do balanced input and single ended output? or is there something about preamp build that lets it do this?

Basically I need a front end that accepts balanced input from my pre, but i don't want to scale up to 'double' output stages like the above schematic or the F5 balanced variations. What i really need is the BA-1 front end, but i cant find matched lsJ74 outside of questionable e-bay sellers.

3) would a person need specially matched fets for BA3b? clearly you need the N and P pairs matched, but do you also need decent matching between the pairs (matching + and - sides)?
Old 14th November 2018, 05:55 PM   #27
DougL is online now DougL  United States
diyAudio Member

Look at the BA-2 Simplified drawing. https://www.diyaudio.com/archive/art...ev-thread.html
The 2 jfet's plus the CSS form a Long tail pair.
This is one of the common ways to convert balanced to single ended.
Old 17th November 2018, 08:32 AM   #28
VonLoon is offline VonLoon
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougL View Post
Look at the BA-2 Simplified drawing. Burning Amplifier BA-2 - diyAudio
The 2 jfet's plus the CSS form a Long tail pair.
This is one of the common ways to convert balanced to single ended.
This is the BA-1 front end, the one I know fits my needs the best. I'm pretty sure the way forward for me is just waiting for the next round of matched j74 to become available.

I know I could probably use some kind of superfluous transformer summing stage and that would really open up my options, but like i said, superfluous.
Old 10th December 2018, 08:19 PM   #29
escucalin is offline escucalin
diyAudio Member

Hello:

Is this the proper way to connect&build a BA3 front and and a BA3 single ended output stage ? Not found anywhere someone who built it... why is not an option i wonder?
see image file here :
BA3+BA3SE.png
Old 10th December 2018, 08:36 PM   #30
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

I believe you got it right

BA3: Complementary vs. Single EndedHide this!Advertise here!