Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

BA3: Complementary vs. Single Ended
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd November 2018, 01:03 AM   #11
Itsmee is offline Itsmee  England
diyAudio Member

Yes, it can be confusing, 'single ended' can refer to an unbalanced signal or stage - input or output, pre or power.

It can also refer to an asymetric output stage - because only one device [upper or lower] is driven with a signal.
Old 2nd November 2018, 01:12 AM   #12
Russellc is offline Russellc  United States
diyAudio Member

Start by building is good. What do you wish to build? What will it drive, and so forth?

I assume you don't own any balanced components? What preamp will you be using, speakers etc?
Russellc

Last edited by Russellc; 2nd November 2018 at 01:27 AM.
Old 2nd November 2018, 03:35 AM   #13
aspringv is offline aspringv  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hmm, I'll take a stab at this.
If we look at buffers, the B1 is a single ended circuit http://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/art_b1_man.pdf ie, theres one transistor doing the work into a current source.

The B1V2 B1 Rev. 2 is a push pull or complementary circuit. ie each transistor is working in tandem. The article http://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/art_zv6.pdf Should help you out there.

The burning amps were intended to be an experiment in mix and matching single ended and complementary front ends, with single ended and push pull output stages. The ba3 is a complementary or push pull front end.

Signal is normally referenced as Balanced or Un-balanced, when between devices.

Last edited by aspringv; 2nd November 2018 at 03:39 AM.
Old 11th November 2018, 08:19 PM   #14
sarscott is offline sarscott  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks aspringv, your explanation, along with a lot more reading, helps a lot in understanding the different terms used so casually on this forum.
Old 11th November 2018, 10:32 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

You could build BA3 identical to 6l6's guide. Then build the BBA3 balanced front end as pre amp. (Or any other balanced preamp) Now it will be clear, and you can build another BA3, wire both you BA3 amps in mono blocks balanced configuration and enjoy. Or keep your first BA3 in stereo, and enjoy it with a regular non balanced preamp.

Then, you can build a third BA3 with single ended out puts and compare and contrast the different output stage topologies.

Russellc
Old 11th November 2018, 10:37 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

I guess best practice would be to be sure you understand what balanced components are and decide if you even need or desire that. If you decide you don't need balanced components, then familiarize yourself with difference in push pull and single ended output stages. Then decide between those two.

Russellc
Old 11th November 2018, 11:21 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Hey Russellc, thanks for your replies. Would like to build an f4 after reading 6L6's f4 build post along with a suitable preamp. 6L6 seemed to be sold on using what is called an empasse preamp about which I was able to find the original article but I am unable to find any build guide to the empasse preamp. Probably will just build the ba-3 frontend as a preamp for the f4 at first so I can use the 6L6 build guide. I am sure I will learn a lot from this alone and will be a great place to start for a beginner.
Old 12th November 2018, 03:10 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Would like to eventually build two f4's and run them dual mono with enough power for Ohm Walsh speakers which are 6 ohms, 88 dB @ 2.8V or maybe even some Thiel speakers which are 4 ohms, 90dB @2.8v. Reading the f4 manual there is parallel mono and balanced mono, parallel giving 100 Watts into 2 Ohms, balanced 100 Watts into 8 Ohms.
Old 12th November 2018, 09:48 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

I do believe you've got it! You idea to build BA3 front end for preamp is a good one. If you use a large enough case, you could always add another board and convert it to balanced configuration.

Russellc
Old 12th November 2018, 01:34 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

For F4, also consider Zenmods Pumpkin-Shunty pre amp. It can be used single ended or balanced and has plenty of drive for regular F4, or 2 balanced mono block F4 amps. Big build guide available. It is one of my many "almost done" projects.

Russellc

BA3: Complementary vs. Single EndedHide this!Advertise here!