Babelfish M25, SissySIT - general building tips and tricks

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
few things - don't waste your time with WCF; I made it as option , but consensus by now is that is too much of good thing ...... interesting for Babelfish M25 , simply because of inherently much lower THD than SissySIT , so adding some sugar can be good in some circumstances

while with SissySIT , in most cases it is too much

regarding F4 - as I'm always saying - there is no comparison between amps really ...... but comparison of some other amp vs. preamp driving a F4 ...... simply because F4 is always just forwarding preamp's character , nothing more

and yes - that NP of yours ......... my Pa is eating him for breakfast , every day

NP is fun , as I heard , but Pa is much funnier

:clown:

edit: luckily we had few more eyes and brains , to help with your adventure ; mine would suffice eventually , but it was faster with help of Greedy Boyz :)

and ....... don't waste your time with serious listening ...... just enjoy ; I know that you must (and you will ) realize the same , but now you made one of the best small amps money can buy ..... either commercially done or as DIY :devilr:

Last edited:
few things - don't waste your time with WCF; I made it as option , but consensus by now is that is too much of good thing ...... interesting for Babelfish M25 , simply because of inherently much lower THD than SissySIT , so adding some sugar can be good in some circumstances

while with SissySIT , in most cases it is too much

regarding F4 - as I'm always saying - there is no comparison between amps really ...... but comparison of some other amp vs. preamp driving a F4 ...... simply because F4 is always just forwarding preamp's character , nothing more

and yes - that NP of yours ......... my Pa is eating him for breakfast , every day

NP is fun , as I heard , but Pa is much funnier

:clown:

edit: luckily we had few more eyes and brains , to help with your adventure ; mine would suffice eventually , but it was faster with help of Greedy Boyz :)

and ....... don't waste your time with serious listening ...... just enjoy ; I know that you must (and you will ) realize the same , but now you made one of the best small amps money can buy ..... either commercially done or as DIY :devilr:

As always, thanks for the input.

I feel really privileged to have mono-block F4s & SissySITS both just hanging out ready to make beautiful music. Plenty of frustration in the build process, but also lots of enjoyment and learning. And I don't need a large amp, so I'll just consider that I have two of the best available...

As always, thanks for the input.

I feel really privileged to have mono-block F4s & SissySITS both just hanging out ready to make beautiful music. Plenty of frustration in the build process, but also lots of enjoyment and learning. And I don't need a large amp, so I'll just consider that I have two of the best available...
you have one....best: SissySit:)

Hi, finally some time to make an attempt to get the sissysit up.
Pcb’s are done, cinemag HQ trafo
Will re-use my two identical M2 amps as dual channel mounted monoblocks, M2 and sissysit per chassis. I shall power one channel per chassis.

Sissy question...
I have 4 Harris p9240 unused; in the M2 it was advised to use them, got them from Teabag, but I used Toshiba’s, so 4 left over, could use 2 of them.
Would they improve the amp, and if so; need to be measured for Vgs?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
it'll work for sure , if you have proper set of SITs , measured at 24V/2A , with Ugs no more than 3V7 , when hot

possibility of slight increase of R in CRC , vs. my fave value of 0R1

say two paralleled WW of 0R47 , which will give you 0R235 , then you're shooting for 420mV across , when setting Iq (1A8)

if you abandon idea of using these, from any reason , feel free to send them to OPLDF :clown:

Joined 2018
Paid Member
I ordered 4 cinemags in early August. I called about 2 weeks ago to see if they forgot about me, and there was something about a supplier issue with lamination material. I have one set of boards and 1 chassis ready to go, except the cinemags. I need to build up my 2nd set of boards and power supply...

I just wrote them a email and they replied to me immediately with this :

“ The laminations finally came in. They are made to our special order. We will ship very soon. Thanks for your patience.
All the best,
David “

So I guess we should have our transformer very soon! Maybe there’s just too many people ordering hpc transfo for the sissysit :D

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Instead of split washers, any objection to using nyloc nuts instead? Any experience with these? They are supposed to be good up to 120C

Nyloc nut - Wikipedia

I got my FE and OS adjusted nicely (gets really hot - #$%# hot actually or 60C) but found out later I am not supposed to have R13 because I am using Cinemag. I am taking them out now but don't expect to have damaged anything did I? FE adjusted to 20ma and 0V offset (it swings around but close enough) even with R13 in there in case you were wondering.

@ twitchy:

PICS PLEASE...you know the rest!

Here is one of my yesterday parcel! (and a couple more)...:yes:

The Boards are 'burning in".......NOT:cool:

The SP10 is a very ambitious project...just motor and platter in a new plinth...not this kitchen top mock-up. ALL electronics are in the case to the left, and the umbilical carries all power and controls. :)

The other one was a garage:eek:...I may just tidy it up soon!

Attachments

• _MG_1448.jpg
    _MG_1448.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 307
  • _MG_11492.jpg
    _MG_11492.jpg
    389.7 KB · Views: 306
  • _MG_1443.jpg
    _MG_1443.jpg
    893.2 KB · Views: 309