Babelfish M25, SissySIT - general building tips and tricks

Here is the picture

Attachments

• 48FEDF54-2D33-43E6-B18A-4F9A65572CEA.jpg
    48FEDF54-2D33-43E6-B18A-4F9A65572CEA.jpg
    907.5 KB · Views: 335
Gentlemen,

up to now just one member has sent a pm to show interest in a pair on Cinemags. I think we would need at least 10 pcs in order to get a significat discount. I would be really happy if we could reach that number :)

Have a nice evening

Ernst

Sorry, already ordered and paid for mine a month ago. Sad thing is I might even be in the same production batch if you do get a group together.

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Here is the picture

it's hard imagining anything else than problem with thermal interface , amp not having any gain (besides xformer) , so no possibility of oscillation

IRFP either wasn't tight enough , or there was a burr somewhere , needing time to dig through isolation

what thermal interface you're using ?

IRFP I'm sending are genuine parts , got from vendor with whom I'm working for more than 20 years , so there is no doubt about that issue as possible culprit

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Here is the picture

as I wrote in post #1 :

put mosfets on/under the pcb , in exact arrangement with mounting hardware as can be seen in posts #2 and #3 , just bellow this one ; to remind you , exact arrangement is :
heatsink-Keratherm-mosfet-pcb-big washer-smaller washer if needed-springie washer as absolutely necessary part-bolt
tighten with brain , not force , but not skimp on necessary force ; my solution is to always use stainless steel washers and especially Allen bolt , because nowadays that's only way to have certainly mechanically proper part ........ usual steel bolts are more often utter drek than not

from your picture I see that you didn't put big washer ; pcb will sag in time if there is just small washer - as in your case - and pressure on mosfet will decline

depending on thermal interface you used , pressure is more or less important for proper thermal transfer , but is always important

ZM I know where pin 1 was on the CineMags ( I have already cut the 4 corner pins), but I dont know where pin 2 etc go on the PCB. I.e how the trafo should be oriented. On my picture pin 1 is under the C in 4HPC. So my question is actually if the orientation is correct as shown in my picture :)

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Cinemag CMOQ orientation on pcb

xformer pic :

red dot Pin 1
black dot Pin 2
Pin 1 and Pin 2 are closer together than rest of pins

cut corner pins marked with green arrows

pcb pic - black circle and arrow - Pin 2

edit: link to this post included in post #1

Attachments

• viber image 2019-03-14 , 17.41.33.jpg
    viber image 2019-03-14 , 17.41.33.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 593
  • viber image 2019-03-14 , 17.41.36.jpg
    viber image 2019-03-14 , 17.41.36.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 594
Last edited:
Thanks a lot ZM, BK & Ben I see my orientation is correct.
I have plowed through the tread 3-4 times over the last couple of months, still didnt remember #62 :)
Now next step is to dissassemble my M2 so I can reuse powersupply and box for Sissy. Need another box and supply so I can compare M2 and Sissy at a later date.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Thanks a lot ZM, BK & Ben I see my orientation is correct.
I have plowed through the tread 3-4 times over the last couple of months, still didnt remember #62 :)
Now next step is to dissassemble my M2 so I can reuse powersupply and box for Sissy. Need another box and supply so I can compare M2 and Sissy at a later date.

I believe pretty much everything is covered in post#1

though , if you cant find it , just ask

I have no problems repeating what's needed ....... better that way than to leave out that gray smoke

:clown:

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
yeah , resistor along opto - named Rs as for Rshunt

used in B. M25 , not in Sissy

27 or 39 ..... you have good chance that 27 is enough ..... just later I realized that some JFet triplets are asking for more than 27R

blame on me ........ and (as usually) I'll blame Pa , he didn't taught me well enough :clown:

Last edited: