Babelfish M25, SissySIT - general building tips and tricks

little progress on Babelfish M25 -

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=771596&stc=1&d=1564524556

now I am to find a huge alutree to cut the case from.

btw: I' rather go with longer fins (7-10cm) than deeper case (< 35cm) by max 18cm height.
my M2 is only 30cm deep by 13.5cm height and goes only up to 60°Celsius.
I think that's within soa.
any objections?
cheers!
A.
ps: last picture of my powershot G9 (cmos died)

Attachments

• IMG_8555.jpg
    IMG_8555.jpg
    955.3 KB · Views: 379
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
M2 is Sissy , compared to SissySIT , or Babelfish M25 (in same manner) , regarding dissipation

just compare Iq and you'll see it

anyway - as you're living in De , I see that you chose to take Edcor from Don Audio ..... my advice would be to invest in more detailed sounding Cinemags

also , my advice would be to go with 4U/400 Modushop case - shipping is anyway just 25 EU Greenies between I and De

don't skimp too much - that drek deserves the best ....... even if it'll sound divine even with drek-iest parts and case you can find :clown:

edit: and yes , I can testify that those Alu Trees , growing in Italy , are perfectly fine ........ :rofl:

Last edited:
Joined 2016
Paid Member
Hallo Attila,
I have the SissySIT in a Modushop 5U400 case, and it gets quite warm ... can keep my hands on the heatsink for 10 seconds when it is fully warmed, but I wouldn‘t want to have it in a smaller case.
Also, Iq and therefore dissipation is quite dependent on rails voltage.
That means, if your wall AC power is not stable in voltage, you have to make amends for highest possible wall voltage ...
And in my street, wall voltage is higher in summer than in winter, and gets higher as the evening stretches on, when I‘m listening mostly, so perfect storm temperature-wise ... :mad: - but with this case, not really a problem.

Also, I fully support what Zen Mod said about the Cinemags - I have CMOQ-4HPC in my SissySIT vs. Edcor in my M2, and the SissySIT sounds so much more detailed ... :D
I ordered directly from Cinemag in the U.S., though that took a while to make them and send them here.

Best regards, Claas

Thanks Zen Mod & chede
for the strong recommendations (Inductor + case)
I've just checked donaudio for cinemags (CMOQ-4LPC on stock).
but I've never bought a case for my amps (this is diy!)
I stopped etching my pcbs for environmental reasons,
I can't blow tubes or make wafers, so what's left to do?
just a puzzle?
No offence! whoever wants it that way - go for it!
but not me
cheers!
A.

Joined 2016
Paid Member
I built the first few cases myself as well ... ;)
(don‘t have a picture of my 2A3 amp with me at the moment, unfortunately)

But in the end, I figured that it costs a similar amount of money, and case building is by far the part of building an amp that takes the longest ... :rolleyes:

At the moment, I am more in the mood of modifying and adapting commercial cases for my purposes. I definitely would consider building from scratch again if I want something special :D

Best regards, Claas

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I had my share of building my own enclosures ....... in fact , still having plenty of heatsinks , to make custom cases and decided it'll be most likely just for my own needs
, and even for that I'm going to make CAD files and get finished plates rather than making them on my own

regarding commercially made (made for someone else by commission) things , I learned from Pa - it's much more fun putting energy in constructing new than wrestling with mechanics

believe me , making anything new is easy for Pa , taking in account not "just" knowledge but also 40 years worth of part accumulation ........ but for cheapskate and greenhorn and hillbilly as I am , I've just recently moved from making from scratch area

:rofl:

in other words - everything is easy when you're making one specimen for your own needs , but when you're making something for others , better to jump across unnecessary logistic traps

and , that's why I'm finding Gianluca's (Modushop) packages more than adequate

Last edited:
It's not about money - t'is the fun of building my own design
searching and deciding form and material to create something unique.
Zen Mod you can create and understand electronic circuits and I'm grateful for your
attitude of sharing and helping and admire your work and wit but
I'll keep sawing aluminium.

cheers
A.

forgot my first: MosFet Citation 12 in old Philips ela chassi
watch the connectors in the fins
but lets close that subjekt for now (this is the wrong thread to become melancolic)

cheers!
A.

Attachments

• Bild 1.jpg
    Bild 1.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 371
  • Bild 2.jpg
    Bild 2.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 355
  • Bild 3.jpg
    Bild 3.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 352
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
sorry, I didn't mean to argue or to mess this thread up with my oppinions.
all the best.
A.

Attila , don't get either me or us wrong - nobody is telling you what your Zen must or can be , only you are entitled to choose that

I was , and I'm sure same as chede, just saying own experience

what is purpose of community - sharing experience and (hopefully) knowledge, not preaching

besides , I'm MetalKido when working on my bikes , so certainly nothing wrong with AluTrees :clown: