Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Babelfish M25, SissySIT - general building tips and tricks
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th September 2019, 02:46 PM   #1001
Ylab is offline Ylab
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhthatcher View Post
Amp 1 fixed with 2 x 102R 1% from my stash in R1 and R3 position.

I checked amp kit #2. It seems 2 impostors are hidden in the mix.

Measure all the 100Rs!
Those brown stripes almost seem black when you look at them under a cool white light !!
Old 11th September 2019, 11:42 PM   #1002
cal3713 is offline cal3713
diyAudio Member

Is it normal to not be able to measure the trimpot settings at r6 and r7? I couldn't, just got .23 ohms, and became convinced I'd ruined them by bending pins. When I pulled them, however, they measured fine (but now are running because I cut them out).

The other two trimpots measure in circuit fine.
Old 11th September 2019, 11:53 PM   #1003
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

that's practically across R4 and R5?

what's measurement across them , without trimpots in place ?

and - is it one channel , or both?
Old 12th September 2019, 12:18 AM   #1004
diyAudio Member

Both channels. One is on a heat sink, after I tried and failed to start it (over 1v at output and then pulled the plug). Haven't done anything but go to bed on it.

The other isn't installed yet. Also couldn't measure r6/r7 on it. Pulled them and both measured normally, but one was at the wrong value ($!?!$!!). Without any pots installed, both r4/r5 measure appropriately (39 ohms).
Old 12th September 2019, 12:39 AM   #1005
diyAudio Member

I guess this is not normal. Dammit. Really hoping I'd gained enough skill not to go through the tech support process.

Here are my boards:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190910_172926~2.jpg (936.6 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg 20190910_164742~2.jpg (868.0 KB, 139 views)
Old 12th September 2019, 12:40 AM   #1006
ItsAllInMyHead is offline ItsAllInMyHead  United States
diyAudio Member

Thank you all for the tips for tapping. I should have backed them out more often, I think. I did use lube. Tapping jokes never get old... I agree.

ZM, I like the idea to just drill between the fins. Much easier! I'll do that next time.

I've made some progress. I thought I'd have the bias process started tonight, but getting the power supplies built and getting the chassis configured took me all day. It's a lot more snug than I thought. I was originally going to mount the donuts vertically, but ... the mounts I ordered are too wide. I may re-visit that later. It's starting to look like an amp.

I got both new PSUs run through the dim-bulb tester separately and then together. +- 26.4V for both unloaded.

Tomorrow, I'll try to get the I/Os and V+ V- to the amp boards, get the CL-60 run to the safety ground, and get it tested and biased. Then I'll clean up all the wiring and button up the chassis.

SISSY MUSIC SOON!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 58994040477__2A5E4837-82FB-4418-AB26-641DF8D80080.jpg (602.7 KB, 139 views)
Old 12th September 2019, 01:44 AM   #1007
Ylab is offline Ylab
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal3713 View Post
Is it normal to not be able to measure the trimpot settings at r6 and r7? I couldn't, just got .23 ohms, and became convinced I'd ruined them by bending pins. When I pulled them, however, they measured fine (but now are running because I cut them out).

The other two trimpots measure in circuit fine.

First setting for R7 as per schematic is 0R. 0.23R is pretty close to 0. Not sure if itís relevant. Mine goes to 0

First setting for R6 is max. So if you got a 100R trimpot in parallel with R4 (39R) you should read something like 28R on the board. 1/39+1/100=1/28
Old 12th September 2019, 07:34 AM   #1008
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

yup ........

naive question - is there really something wrong with boards (both channels !! so veeery small probability for being that) ......... or you didn't set these trimpots in a way it is needed ?

Gremlin , must be , we just need to sort which one ....
Old 12th September 2019, 08:41 AM   #1009
dewdrop is offline dewdrop
diyAudio Member

I have the 2KR and 100R trim pots whose legs are staggered, were these sent wrongly as the PCB calls for the straight line ones?

I wanna make sure before I either bend them to fit or to buy the right ones20190912_163850.jpg
Old 12th September 2019, 08:53 AM   #1010
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

bend them

that's ZM's lazy approach , stopped worrying when I order ones and get the other ones ...... so in last decade or so I'm just taking care where screw is , pins are long enough to make them behave

Babelfish M25, SissySIT - general building tips and tricksHide this!Advertise here!